This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of Blender Eevee/viewport module development. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on Eevee/viewport in Blender is welcome to join.
For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.
- Google Meet
- Next Meeting: June 5 22, 2023, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Amsterdam Time (Your local time: 2023-06-05T09:30:00Z → 2023-06-05T10:00:00Z)
- Eevee-next development are a bit behind schedule. We discussed during the meeting how to address this issue. Taking over code reviews, adding more people on the development. Jeroen and Miguel are available to help, but the topic should be clear how the solution would work in order to be effective.
- Volumes landed in main. There is an issue where transparent surfaces behind volume objects are not rendered correctly that should still be investigated.
- Development continued on Overlay-next.
- Improved depth bias to reduce tile artifacts on Apple Sylicon GPUs.
- Eevee-next requires some features in the backend
- Currently baking irradiance caches fails on some devices. It isn’t clear if the issues are related to the specific branch.
- Image atomics are required, but not yet supported by the backend. We should add an easy solution first and after that we have time to iterate on the approach. The idea is to add a 2d buffer for the atomics.
- Apple is narrowing down the issue why AMD GPUs can have stability issues. They is an cause found, but it is still unclear how to work around it.
- Adding support for Workbench. Still work in progress
- Improved stability of vulkan when descriptors where fragmented/not available.
- Add support for texture formats that uses non-standard low precision floating points. Using a template it is possible to convert from a regular float to any low precision floats and use conversions that is appropriate for textures. Like clamping to max values, support non-signed floating points.
- Add support for reading back depth textures and sub-areas of textures
- Improved the surface selection to select unsigned normalized SRGB surfaces.
- Not yet working:
- Hair rendering (requires texel buffer support)
- Studio lights have inverted normals.
- Volume hasn’t been tested yet.
- Point clouds hasn’t been tested yet.
- Shadow rendering (requires stencil buffers).
- Depth of field (requires mip mapping).