This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of Blender Eevee/viewport module development. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on Eevee/viewport in Blender is welcome to join.
For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.
- Google Meet
- Next Meeting: May 1, 2023, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Amsterdam Time (Your local time: 2023-05-01T09:30:00Z → 2023-05-01T10:00:00Z)
- Shaders have been patched to add Metal support to Eevee-next. Still requires other patches as well before it will work.
- Volumes now use compute shaders
- Did optimization to object bounds. In complex scenes this got good performance boost.
- Working in progress on Subsurface scattering.
- Initial patch to review the new architecture has been sent in for review. (#107045 - Overlay-Next: Initial implementation - blender - Blender Projects)
- Some discussion has been done on supporting Intel/AMD on Metal backend. There are some issues, but using OpenGL for these devices also has down-sides. For now due to the close deadline to 3.5.1 release we will categorize them as known issues.
- Legacy Intel platforms don’t start. Issue is already solved in MacOS 13.0. Still looking into the exact MacOS versions that solved the issue.
- AMD GPU has issues when rendering the material preview. Disabling this feature is not desired as it is also used in asset creation pipeline. Downgrading to OpenGL can still be done by user in the user preferences.
- Patch for bindless attachments (needed for Eevee-next) has been send in for review.
- Last week did a sprint to get the first pixel on screen by starting blender. This was a success and gave us feedback on the developments that still need our attention. (#106224 - WIP: Vulkan: Initial Graphics Pipeline - blender - Blender Projects)