This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of Blender Eevee/viewport module development. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on Eevee/viewport in Blender is welcome to join.
For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.
- Google Meet
- Next Meeting: March 20, 2023, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Amsterdam Time (Your local time: 2023-03-20T10:30:00Z → 2023-03-20T11:00:00Z)
- Last week a Clement visited Blender HQ to do several planning sessions what we will be doing in the upcoming year. A blog post will be written about this, but in short:
- Focus on Eevee-next, porting existing code to the new code-base where possible.
- Research how GI can be implemented in Eevee-next. There are many different algorithms that all have side effects.
- Viewport compositor will be focusing on support for render passes (both Eevee and Cycles). Requires changes of RenderEngine API.
- Focus on Vulkan Backend.
- Eevee-next plannig has been updated (https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/issues/93220)
- Michael and Jason also visited Blender HQ for some technical sessions and planning for the Metal Viewport. Focus will be on adding features that Eevee-next requires (SSBO, Indirect draw/compute), performance and handling bigger scenes.
- Rotation API has land.
- Current volume algorithm has been ported to Workbench-next.
- Design has been made how to port Subsurface scattering to Eevee-next.
- Some developments have been done to add support for volumes back to Eevee-next. This is still work in progress for the upcoming period.
- Discussion with Line-art and NPR rendering. Result of the discussion is that line-art will be using geometry nodes. A discussed GPU implementation isn’t a priority and would not use much of our time.
- Added support for bi-linear filtering.
- Added support for multi-pass images
- Refactor GPU sampler code. Still in progress (#105642 - GPU: Refactor texture samplers - blender - Blender Projects)
- Several changes have been made to the SSBO clearing API. The previous API was designed around OpenGL capabilities. The new one on what we actually need. This allows better portability to Metal and Vulkan backends. (#105521 - GPU: Refactor API for Clearing Storage Buffers - blender - Blender Projects)
- Push constants have landed. (https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/pulls/104880)
- Buffers are now always mapped to virtual memory. (#105588 - Vulkan: Automap Buffers. - blender - Blender Projects) This is a recommendation as mapping to virtual memory as an overhead, so better to do it once and keep the reference until you don’t need it anymore.