Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CEST.
The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).
- Google Meet
- Previous meeting
- Next meeting
- Pipeline, Assets & I/O workboard
- Core workboard
- #pipeline-assets-io-module chat channel
- #core-module chat channel
Several patches were reviewed in the past two weeks, and most are now ready for master and should make it into Blender 3.5 today or tomorrow:
- Support for export curves on alembic - needs more work.
- USD Export - New Curves/Hair Support - needs more work.
- USD Importer refactor: Extracting read_mesh params into a struct - needs more work.
- Fix T100028: Convert USD camera properties into millimeters from USD units - ready.
- USD Export: Small change to ensure that edit mode changes are properly exported - ready.
- USD CI Tests - ready.
- USD import unused materials - ready.
- Fix T103354: Author extents on UsdGeomMesh - needs review, awaiting for CI patch.
A few other smaller patches still need review, Bastien will have a look at some of them.
- USD IO: Moving to the new Mesh Attributes API for Colors - needs review.
- Fix T95203: USD mesh sequence cache modifier imports incorrect shaders - needs more work.
The USD team can also handle some reviews internally, as long as they do not affect other areas of Blender and are straight-forward. Ideally there would be two of their members to review them. E.g.
On a more general note, Bastien and Brecht are taking over Sybren role for patch reviews for the time being. Bastien also reafirms the commitment of Blender to dedicate more time to the USD project, both on operational (path reviews) and strategical (designs, general coordination etc.) aspects. Efforts are on-going on this topic.
Nathan and his team just updated the patch, they consider it as final and fully ready for review.
The limitation noted last meeting about exporting loose edges together with UVs has been resolved.
Bastien will check on how to include the whole team of six in the credits, and not only the author of the patch.
Unless review happens very fast and is flawless, it is likely that this new PLY I/O tool will be released in Blender 3.6, and not 3.5.
As a reminder, Aras Pranckevicius (@aras_p) agreed to take over maintenance for this new code once it’s in master.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 9th February, 17:00 CET/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2023-02-09T16:00:00Z).
The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.