2022-2-03 Sculpt/Texture/Paint Module Meeting

Yes, I’m also wondering if OpenVDB is being frequently updated to make sure Voxel Remesh makes use of the latest algorithm improvements.

2 Likes

Yep, and not only that…
The other “boolean” operations are still missing in the voxel remesher… :frowning:
More smoothing algorithms/filter types would be a nice touch as well…

3 Likes

Okay we are at this point again.
I can understand the frustration but some things are just planned differently and these negative posts aren’t helping anyone.

I am sure if they had a dev available and the whole sculpt mode got the intended features the voxel remesher gets improved too.

Wait for the blog post and enjoy the feature that are coming.

And for the voxel remesher as a node i agree that nodes are easier than modifiers simple because just for the voxel remesh it’s one node to do… with basic knowledge everyone can add a node and connect it and combine it with others.

2 Likes

All right guys, the moderation inbox is getting awfully busy with notifications about this thread, get it together and play nice with each other.

13 Likes

For me this point has several fundamental problems and that is that extruding in edit mode on large meshes is a pain nowadays. And everything indicates that in the future it will continue to be very complicated to be a seamless process to go from sculpting a 15 million mesh and start editing it normally. Even more so for the selection. So it will only be something viable in small meshes.

In addition, although both tools are called extrude, I think their functionality is very different. The “flow” of work of both modes is very different.

Another problem I find is that in the end making the transition from edit mode to sculpt seamless will be a much more complicated, unrealistic and difficult goal to achieve than simply having a brush to extrude.

1 Like

Could you give some workflow examples of where an extrude operation would become useful or even essential in Sculpt Mode?

I think using the word essential adds a lot of subjectivity.My first art director thought that sculpt was unnecessary, that a good heightmap in photoshop could make up for it and was better.

I understand that any extrude you want to do at once when you are editing an armature panel is already enough for many workflows. I understand that depending on its complexity it may not seem enough reason.

This is from the official Zbrush user guide:

Even they warn users from not using Zmodeler with high polycounts, it’s just not practical to do these modeling operations on very dense meshes… Plus I haven’t seen any Zbrush advanced user doing any modeling tasks on models that are already too dense or with subdivisions, such operations are almost always done in the first stages of the process, when the main forms are still being defined and the mesh is still relatively lowpoly.

In terms of workflow, any modeling task that require inset, extrude, loop cuts, etc is pretty much always done either as part of the initial blocking (and sculpt comes after that), as part of the retopology process, or for hard surface models. I still stand by the idea that having a better performance for Edit Mode would be a lot better than duplicating modeling tools inside sculpt mode.

12 Likes

To be direct, my critique did not relate that much to be able to extrude from Sculpting mode. There are other tools which join more natural into sculpting. The inflate filter could do a good job here.

I am not sure jumping around from Sculpt mode to Edit mode (to aim for ‘feature completeness’ of the Sculpting mode?) would be a good foundation for a sculpting workflow. Including a Block-In stage. Sculpting could leave a mesh with automatically generated topology, which is not that suitable for a poly based workflow inside Edit mode.
loop cut, inset, bevel, sliding, … those tools normally are used on top of a ‘reasonable’ topology.

There is nothing wrong about to sync Masks from Sculpt mode to Edit mode selections, or improving how fluently Blender could switch between Sculpting mode and Edit mode.

1 Like

This is exactly what I think should be done, sync between masks/face sets and edit mode selections, and a faster and more fluent (if possible) way to switch between modes.

5 Likes

Yes, I’ve used it before in Zbrush, and I’ve also used it in the dev build in Blender… Also, I haven’t said is not useful, only that is probably not the best route for Blender since we already have very powerful modeling tools in Edit Mode.

Again, just blindly copying tools from another software just because they work great there doesn’t mean they’ll be magically the same in Blender, specially because we already have those tools. That’s what I don’t get, the insistence in trying to replicate the exact way you work in Zbrush inside a program that’s completely different and it wasn’t created as a dedicated sculpting tool in the first place, that’s bonkers.

Should sculpt mode in Blender be improved? Absolutely! We still need better performance for high poly sculpts, better baking tools, sculpt layers, polishing a LOT of existing brushes and tools, etc… so yeah, there’s lots to do still.
Should that improvement be just a copy of tools from another software? Probably not, at least I don’t think that’s the right way to go about it

14 Likes