2022-11-17 Pipeline, Assets & I/O Meeting

Everyone is welcome on the Google Meet linked below every other Thursday, at 17:00 CEST.

Present: Arjan van Diest, Bastien Montagne, Brian Savery, Lilith Houtjes, Nathan Rozendaal, Thomas Feijen, Sonny Campbell, Zhen Dai

The meeting covers the pipeline & I/O module in a broader sense, including some topics hosted in other modules (e.g. some I/O python add-ons, or overrides and .blend file I/O from the Core module).

Links

Collections for Import/Export Design & USD

Blender is actively looking for a senior dev to work at Blender and coordinate and lead the whole USD project. We are also looking for some official suport from a big USD player (like a big studio, or the ASWF), and stakeholders (people or studios already using USD a lot, and willing to help define and test Blender’s integration of USD). Brian thinks that ASWF and their USD working group is probably the best way to find these.

Sonny is working on curve export (trying to bring Project Heist data into USD as test playground).

Brian and his team keep working on Hydra integration, they updated the design task, and expect to be ready for sharing they work publicly in a few weeks. Next step, once required library work is done (for Blender 3.5), would be to move Hydra integration into the main USD development branch.

Zhen asks is there is a roadmap for USD improvements in upcoming releases (Blender 3.4 and 3.5). Bastien answers that besides regular improvements of existing I/O code, there is no clear roadmap yet, as lack of resources at Blender are currently making progresses slow. It would be good though to get basics of Collection I/O finalized and ready for master though.

Other

PLY C++ IO

Nathan announces that the analysis/design of the project is mostly complete now, they will soon start actual develpment with their whole 6 developers team. They will submit WIP patches to ensure coding is going in the right direction.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday 1rst December, 17:00 CET/Amsterdam time (your local time: 2022-12-01T16:00:00Z).

The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #pipeline-assets-io-module channel before the meeting.

3 Likes

Suggestion: It would be nice to have an option (like a checkbox) to hide file extensions when we save files. Maybe somewhere in Blender preferences → Save & Load.