The meeting will be open for everybody interested in joining the video call (link below).
Meeting time: 15:00 CEST (Your local time: 2022-09-07T13:00:00Z).
- Dalai Felinto
- Hans Goudey
- Iliya Katueshenock
- Jacques Lucke
- Kshitij Rajgude
- 3.4 priorities
- Viewport Preview (T89658)
- Geometry + Attribute Overlay
- Improves workflow significantly, is long overdue
- Asset Integration in node editor
- Show assets in Add menu and search
- Improve workflows that mostly built on top of node groups (instead of low level internal nodes). It’s likely that most users will do most things with node groups in the future.
- Redesign the access of attributes on geometry (T100010)
- Improve node naming and functionality separation in the context of geometry nodes (previous design was influenced a lot by the Data Transfer modifier which had different design goals).
- Curve topology access (T100020)
- Simplifies some procedural hair setups.
- Mesh topology access (T100020)
- Most of the topology information cannot be accessed yet, limiting what node trees are able to do.
- Attribute Smoothing node (T86903)
- Active UV map (T98366, T98851, T98852)
- In many cases, meshes have a main uv map for texturing.
- Making this the active uv map can eliminate creating node links are referencing uv maps by name in many places.
- Node-Tree type compatibility
- Initial support for copy-paste funcitionality
- Design for this will be handled in the future, especially regarding nodegroup assets
- T98492: Geometry Nodes Evaluator 3.0
- D15491: Nodes: Move NodeTreeRef functionality into node runtime data
- D14483: Use a vector instead of a linked list for object instances
- D15488: Mesh: Remove redundant custom data pointers
- D14365: Mesh: Move UV layers to generic attributes
- D14942: Curves: Draw legacy hair particle system as curves object (WIP)
- Also the brush management project has ramifications here, since it might include changes to curves sculpt mode
- Viewport Preview (T89658)
T100010: Splitting the “Attribute Transfer” node
- “Sample at Index” and “Sample Nearest” should work for naming.
- The design seems solid enough to start work on this. It’s hard to discuss more until we can see it in action.
T100020: Curve and Mesh Topology Inputs
- These should be in a separate section of the add menu. Definitely not just the top-level “Mesh” category
- Many nodes or a single node with a dropdown?
- Many different nodes are preferred since the use cases are rather separate
- Using many nodes also helps to clarify the naming and make the semantics more obvious when reading a node tree.
T100859: Custom normals design for curves
- Basic design seems fine, the “up” attribute solution is preferred.
- How (or not) to change the existing Z-Up method can be determined when it’s working.
- Versioning away the old curve type
- The previous topic transitioned into this.
- The main blockers are missing edit mode and a few procedural operations that can probably be built with node groups.
- Rendering is also problematic, since Cycles and EEVEE curves drawing only supports non-cyclic Catmull Rom curves.
- The benefits are a huge amount of cleanup and faster
- Are node assets available during versioning?
- Should probably use a specific node group for versioning anyway.
D15887: UI: Add Mix Node to color section of add node menu
- We may have talked about duplicating nodes in the add menu before, but forgot the result of that discussion.
- The node asset search patch (D15568) will fix the duplication in the search menu
- The change seems helpful overall. The node should just be called “Mix” even in the color menu though.
D15479: Geometry Nodes: Add Selections to Curve to Mesh Node
- This has came up a couple of times. It’s a hard design topic because it requires choosing what redundancy we want for ease of use vs. making things generic.
- Overall there was agreement that at least some of the outputs would be good to add.
- The best approach is probably to look at node groups for the same features and see how they compare.
D15313: Fix T99161: Set reroute node active when adding through lasso gesture
- This a large, potentially controversial topic since it relates to T82359: Stronger binding of Active and Selected.
- Jacques mentioned a previous patch that tried to make box selections of single vertices active that was abandoned.
- The conclusion was that we should just leave it as is for now until a bigger picture design becomes clearer.
D15876: Indices Selection
- This seems like useful feature, and the string input even seems convenient and performant enough.
- However, it’s comes down to adding a new “language” to Blender-- deciding the syntax, etc. The consensus was that there wasn’t time to work through these design topics given all the other priorities.
- One thing we will need is node groups that replicate the behavior of the old curve object.
The next meeting will be on Wednesday 21 September, 15:00-16 CEST (Your local time: 2022-09-21T13:00:00Z), which is 2 weeks from this meeting. The provisional meeting agenda will be linked in the #geometry-nodes channel before the meeting.