This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of Blender Eevee/viewport module development. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on Eevee/viewport in Blender is welcome to join.
For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.
- Google Meet
- Next Meeting: August 8, 2022, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Amsterdam Time (Your local time: 2022-08-08T09:30:00Z → 2022-08-08T10:00:00Z)
- Omar Emara
- Clément Foucault
- Michael Parkin-White
- Jeroen Bakker
- Added support for Motion blur pass and Depth of Field.
- DoF is using compute shaders, but there are some known functional regressions and performance regressions that need more work.
- There is a patch that would reduce memory for grey scale images. ⚙ D15484 ImBuf: Optimize GPU memory by using 1 component format for grayscale images This patch still needs review.
- 2 performance regressions in master (bump-node and Principled shader). Will be looked at this week.
- All patches are reviewed and accepted, the patches have not landed yet due to the
WITH_COMPOSITORcompilation directive. During the meeting we discussed and came to the next steps.
WITH_COMPOSITORoption is to reduce compile time for developers. The code of the viewport compositor is hard to separate from the actual node, and might not really benefit to the total compile time that much. We should make sure that blender compiles when the compilation flag is turned off. And we should make sure that we document this so we can always refer people to this decision.
- Continued implementing filter nodes like blur, bokeh and scale. Patches will be uploaded after the main patches land in master.
- Metal shader patch hasn’t been reviewed, but is on the list to be reviewed this week. The patch is touches many files.
- There are some failing tests. Seems mainly small changes like the way how
#ifdefshould be written to be CPP and C compatible.
- Index buffer optimizations are (little) troublesome. It is unclear which branches should be implemented to work 100%. It is fine to add asserts for now in this area as it will still not be a default backend. This gives time to make all optimizations working.
- Metal patch + Immediate patch are being worked on. After those two patches we expect a first pixel being drawn on the screen.
- Recent changes in master broke renderdoc intergration. rBcfd16c04f831 concern has been raised, but for now if you want to use renderdoc this commit should be reverted locally.
- Internal add-ons that still rely on bgl are converted to use the gpu module. Some tweaks are expected.
- It is now possible to have different reference images per platform in the render tests. ⚙ D15265 RenderReport: Add option to add platform specific overrides.
- New performance test has been added to keep track of the bump node performance regression.