2022-07-11 Eevee/Viewport Module Meeting

Practical Info

This is a weekly video chat meeting for planning and discussion of Blender Eevee/viewport module development. Any contributor (developer, UI/UX designer, writer, …) working on Eevee/viewport in Blender is welcome to join.

For users and other interested parties, we ask to read the meeting notes instead so that the meeting can remain focused.

• Google Meet
  • Next Meeting: July 18, 2022, 11:30 AM to 12:00 PM Amsterdam Time (Your local time: 2022-07-18T09:30:00Z2022-07-18T10:00:00Z)

Attendees:

• Brecht van Lommel
  • Omar Emara
  • Jeroen Bakker
  • Michael Parkin-White

Viewport compositing

• Comming together nicely. Blog post had great feedback so far.
    • Apple support is planned via the Metal GPU backend. The Metal GPU backend will land before the viewport compositor will be removed from experimental feature.
    • Unsupported/unimplemented nodes currently stops the execution. Proposal is to implement a dummy GPU function for each node. Before the viewport compositor is becomes a non experimental feature all nodes should have an implementation or for nodes that cannot be implemented a dummy implementation (passthrough). Nodes that cannot be supported are Denoising (depends on CPU library) and File output node (performance reasons).
  • Complete work on GPU attributes and AOV outputs for shader operations.

Eevee Next

• Nothing to mention for the notes.

Metal Backend

Hair/Curve drawing

Community patches

• Jeroen will focus this week on reviewing and committing community patches
13 Likes

Regarding the Curve outline. How hard is it to implement it to geo instances as well?
Currently, each instance draws its own outline, which is quite visually disturbing.
Maybe as an option?

6 Likes

Without looking at the code this doesn’t seem to hard to implement. The question is more if this is something that every user wants, or that there would be some kind of mechanism. This for example also impacts selection (instance selection).

Great to hear about the Metal backend! Thank you!

I don’t see a benefit with every instance having its own separate outline that doesn’t merge with the rest. It does make extensive scatterings harder to read in the viewport, I’ve been toggling outlines off for this reason

3 Likes

Totally agree with Hadriscus, can’t imagine a reason why anyone would want an outline per instance - it’s very distracting atm in my opinion.

1 Like

https://developer.blender.org/T99616

I added a design task to keep track of this discussion.

2 Likes

Should I add my mockups?