Participants: Brecht van Lommel, Daniel Bystedt, Gareth Jensen, Jeroen Bakker, Joe Eagar, Julien Kaspar, Pablo Vazquez, Pablo Dobarro.
For this year there were several announcements that are related to Sculpt/Texture/Paint module. One of them was a strategic focus on texturing in 2022. The other was the upcoming Heist open movie.
The scope of the texturing target is still WIP and will be fleshed out the upcoming weeks. One main goal would be to improve the performance of the 3d texture painting (current projection painting). The idea is to replace the current projection painting with a new system based on the PBVH and Sculpt brush (3d texturing brush).
As this is tightly related to the sculpt/texture and paint module and module members would also participate in the project we had a kick-off of the 3d texturing brush.
- Primary tools (must haves for Heist project)
- We should aim for 16k textures and 1M polygons models and find out how close we can get and where the limitations will be.
- Draw Brush
- Projection tool (with backface occlusion)
- Fill tool (fill full texture with a single color)
- Blur tool
- Delays might be acceptable when switching brushes/textures, but not when changing brush settings (fe brush size). It isn’t acceptable at the end of the stroke. (This is important for developer to know what could be precalculated)
- Secondary tools
- Clone tool
- Smear tool
- Masking tools
- Auto masking
- Manual masking
- Create a mask by color
- Sculpt mode brush settings
- Radius unit
- Filters are tools that don’t require a brush, they perform directly on the texture.
There are several topics that still need discussion and prioritization
- Surface occlusion
- First “front faces only”
- Based on actual feedback we can decide if more precise occlusion methods are actually needed. (eg. raycasting from vertices or from each fragment).
- Sample tool -
Sshortcut acceptable for now, but in long term needs tool with settings.
- Erase brush/mode
- Face sets
- Roll stroke
- Channel selector for painting for game engine type of packed textures. Currently unclear if there could be better workflows when integrated with layered textures.
- Lattice for projection tool
- Redesign sculpt and paint model.
- Modes organize features that have a common purpose, regardless of the target data type.
- Store masks for reuse (face sets workflow? ID maps? Saved masks?)