2021-10-26 Blender Rendering Meeting

So this is going to magically work without users testing and reporting bugs directly at release ? Very strange development protocol. Don’t really care about propriety OSs ( That is the price you pay for using Closed Source )

From my understanding HIP won’t be avaliable with Blender 3.0. HIP will PROBABLY be enabled in Blender 3.1 before BCON 2 and will under go testing and bug fixing throughout the rest of 3.1’s development.

Thanks Alaska.
I had problems with newest AMDGPU-PRO drivers on Debian due to some bug in LLVM11. Recently LLVM was upgraded to 12. So that might be useful for testing newer drivers and compute stack in this distro.
If I’ll be able to install recent drivers, I’ll definitely give HIP a shot on Vega II.

I can’t find the gpu under ubuntu, 2.93 can’t find the ray tracing graphics card of opencl, 3.0 has hip but the same can’t find the rdna2 graphics card, 2.93 can’t find opencl I’m very confused to install the driver code are amd light copy (. /amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=rocr,legacy)

So far it seems things aren’t working as expected, especially on “older” GPUs, but that’s based on the results of others. So I’m not sure how right this assumption is. I would recommend you wait until official instructions on how to use and setup HIP in Blender are made publicly available.

1 Like

I’m sorry I can’t help you much. I have personally never used a AMD GPU on Linux and so haven’t faced the problem of OpenCL not being detected. However this thread might contain some useful information: Guide | Install AMD OpenCL on: Pop!OS & some Ubuntu Derivates | Linux, amdgpu, amdgpu-pro, rocm, rocr

As for the HIP implementation, it is disabled by default and is thus not accessible to the end user. However you can compile Blender with HIP if you want to test it, I’m just not sure if it works with the publicly available GPU drivers and HIP compiler. You should wait until official build instructions are released by AMD/Blender developers.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for referencing.
Unfortunately the method in my article only works up to Opencl 2.0 / 2.1.(Amdgpu) as far as I know.

When it comes to Rocm, i’m not sure whether blender is compatible now.

My graphics card model is 6800xt

amd official website code is opencl=rocr,legacy, as for opencl=pal,legacy is not applicable to 21.30 driver?

Sorry I typed wrong is 21.30 version, rdna2 in linux does not support blender?

Good question.
From the driver’s point of view. I don’t have a modern GPU right now.

From the blender’s point of view, maybe some of the developers here can answer that question.

1 Like

No one said it was going to work without user testing and bug reporting; that’s a very strange interpretation on your part.

Your virtue signalling regarding proprietary OSes and closed source software is a little childish, given the vast bulk of Blender’s user base runs it on proprietary operating systems, and the vast bulk of Blender funding is contributed by corporate entities who produce and sell proprietary hardware and/or software ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Virtue signalling ? You off your meds ?

You do realize one of the main advantages of Open Source Development is the ability to get software tested in scenarios no closed source software could even come close. As no Official word if AMD GPU support is targeted at 3.0 or 3.1 ( Initially targeted at 3.0 ), is the reason I asked how code developed in the shadows could be ready for a 3.0 release which is already in Beta.

According to my observation hip has actually merged to version 3.0, but there is no option to open in the properties panel, mainly because there is no driver, a rendering will flash back, I have a link to open the development version of hip for windows:
Blender Builds - blender.org
hip has long been merged into 3.0 in the weekly report, but amd has not yet devolved the driver available, I personally think that even now is a beta state for the features that have been merged in early in the beta plus a switch to start does not violate the rules

Its not recommended to use this build. There will be documentation released at a later date, hopefully should be done for 3.1.

The last issue of the meeting amd representative said windows driver released in November

1 Like

I think this thing amd internal should exist in a large number of machines to simulate the test, they should have professional tools to capture the hidden deep bugs, the number of samples should be much more than the user test

Personally I would take HIP in Blender 3.0 at any level of stability.
Since OpenCL support has been removed already, that leaves AMD GPU users with little other choice. Either HIP works or we have no GPU acceleration with 3.0…
So even if it’s buggy, I’ll take HIP in 3.0. Even if I have to compile it myself, which I hope I won’t have to do.
Hopefully it all comes together in time for the Blender 3.0 release.

6 Likes

We hope HIP will still be ready for 3.0, but it’s all a bit tricky since this is based on new drivers and SDK. It’s a bit unusual to leave it this late still, we just really want to support AMD GPUs if possible rather than being NVIDIA only.

If it’s not stable enough we move it to 3.1, but then we can still have daily builds of 3.1 with HIP support around the time of the 3.0 release.

10 Likes

Hi, how soon can we expect the first metal patch to be out?