The main goal of this meeting was a status update on & discussion of ongoing work.
The meeting was open for everybody interested to join on Google Meet.
Present: Christoph Lendenfeld, Daniel Salazar, Demeter Dzadik, Kathy McNeal (briefly), Nico Sanghrajka, Sybren Stüvel
People present are referred to by first name for brevity. Others are referred to by full name.
- Nico introduces himself. He was invited by Jason, works with him at Amazon. He’s been rigging for 20+ years, worked at Dreamworks with Jason for 6 years, and at ILM and other places as rigger. Only worked in Blender for 3 months out of these 20+ years.
- Jason: Their goal is to make a nice “bigger short” in Blender, hopefully with the aid of USD.
- Kathy: joined Nimble a few years back, before that one of the 1st time directors supported by Nimble, made 1st short 100% in Blender.
T81836: Design: New Graph Editor Key Manipulation Operators.
- Slider abstraction pretty much done, now in review and about to be accepted (D9314).
- Christoph started implementing the slider in the graph editor’s Decimate operator.
T83068: Motion Paths: Refresh all
- Wade Moss took over from Scott Wilson, his patch is under review now (D11667) and accepted pending a few minor changes.
T83908: Streamlining advanced rigging of B-Bone chains
- All patches have been accepted, and the task complete.
New short-term goals will be picked next meeting.
- Which workspaces should be preconfigured to include the pose library? And how (asset browser vs. sidebar in 3D view)? See T89731: Add Asset Browsers to Default Workspaces.
- Jason: gimme Blender with a working pose library, and then we can try things out and design things further.
- Sybren will ask Sprite Fright production team.
T89716: Apply Transforms doesn’t work with Auto Keying: which operations should cause auto-keying? Apply Transforms and Set Origin are going to influence the entire animation, not just the current frame.
- Jason: these are more like operations on the mesh, not on the animation data.
- Christoph: could be adding an “animation layer” with the offset, but indeed different operation.
- Conclusion: Apply Transforms should not auto-key.
- Sybren: we should have proportional editing over time.
- Jason: yes please.
Jason is enthousiastic about the Rigging Nodes add-on. There are similar nodes to what Blender already has, would be great if the add-on could be tied into Everything Nodes, i.e. Blender itself.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 22 July, 18:00 CET/Amsterdam time. Again it will be open for everybody who’s interested. The provisionary meeting agenda will be linked in the #animation-module channel before the meeting.