Notes for meeting of Monday, 2 March 2020. 18:00 CET / UTC 17:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.
Blender.Today Recap Video
- Campbell Barton organized an initial list of fixes to be backported to a 2.82a release (T74274).
- Developers are to update the task with proposed new fixes.
- Buildbot builds will be triggered manually, the 2.82a branch will be created this week.
- The idea is to release 2.82a on March 12, same day we start 2.83 bcon2.
- Grease pencil patch review is ongoing (D6293) with few fixes pending.
- VR initial patches were sent for review, the final milestone 1 functionality will come afterwards (T71347).
- Volume object is also under review (D6945).
- Multires (T73317) should make it in time. Which doesn’t mean solve every possible issue, but making it a lot better.
- Undo (T60695) is a complicated topic. It doesn’t look far from ready, but Bastien Montagne is afraid of introducing big issues with this change without the due time for testing.
- The meeting digressed a bit on the impacts that making 2.83 the first LTS would have. In particular when it comes to add more or less features in a release that is supposed to aim at stability.
- “The LTS stability comes from continuing to bugfix it after the release, not so much form being conservative with new features” (Brecht Van Lommel)
New Features and Changes
- Cloth Brush: new brush with a simple physics solver that helps when sculpting cloth. (Pablo Dobarro)
- Hardness brush property, moving the fallof towards the edges and making the brush sharper. (Pablo Dobarro)
- File Browser: Add Ctrl+F shortcut to activate filter textbox. (Jacques Lucke)
- Harmonize strip colors in video sequencer. (Peter Fog)
- Add theme option for grid levels to display in node editor background. (Pawel Franitza)
- Add theme option for time markers line (Michael Soluyanov)
- Use dedicated icons for topbar and statusbar in theme preferences. (Yevgeny Makarov)
- Improve label text colors in save and security popups. (Yevgeny Makarov)
- Remove non-functional large cursors preferences. (Harley Acheson)
- Text rendering has been optimized. (Germano Cavalcante)
- Overlays with X-ray enabled no longer have dithering noise. (Clément Foucault)
- HDRI background option for the amount of blur. (Clément Foucault)
- Eevee: per-image option to use high bit depth (32bit instead of 16bit float). (Clément Foucault)
- Cycles: move sss and diffuse transmission into diffuse render pass. (Brecht Van Lommel)
- Cycles: add option to change which sample to start viewport denoising at. (Patrick Mours)
- Color management: improved false color view transform. (Aaron Carlisle)
- Color management: support the same looks for all view transforms. (Aaron Carlisle)
- Fluid: improved behavior at open boundaries. (Sebastián Barschkis)
- Bevel: take into account Z-up for custom profile orientation. (Hans Goudey)
- 3D Text: add kerning menu. (Campbell Barton)
- Ocean modifier: don’t completely change shape when changing resolution. (Phil Stopford)
- Constraints: improved Set Inverse system. (details) (Alexander Gavrilov, Sybren A. Stüvel)
- Linux platform support for XDG ‘user-dirs.dirs’. (Alessio Monti di Sopra, Campbell Barton)