2.93 LTS suggestion; No new modeling/rigging tools, make editmode/OSD fast instead

The modeling tools are written in C/C++, I don’t think Python is responsible for performances here, unless when executed from external script or addon.

Potentially good news at last, Campbell’s weekly report contained this line.

General development & plan mesh optimization project.

I hope this is a confirmation that editmode performance is now a priority, we can’t create everything with Geometry Nodes, not only that a few other areas of Blender are also getting a performance boost. We would not want to see editmode continue to be the weak link that everyone talks about when working with Blender.

5 Likes

Kévin Dietrich, a blender developer, is working on OSD GPU acceleration.

1 Like

Great to hear, any link to follow the development?

More information will probably be found in the Rendering Modules weekly meeting notes and Kevin’s weekly notes.

Oh, I see. You’re right.

Today Pablo during the stream seem to have confimed that improvements are coming to Blender edit mode!

Happy!

11 Likes

good crowned lord gracious

3 Likes

So it appears editmode won’t have huge improvements for 2.93 LTS, but for those who don’t know, optimization work is in fact underway and the results can be seen in the current Blender 3.0 alpha builds. On top of that, the fact the devs. allocated so much time to this subject means many bottlenecks will fall, that is as long as OpenSubDiv is not enabled (but there is a dev. taking care of that performance issue as well).

Benchmarks and more information tracking the changes can be found in the BA thread on editmode performance.

2 Likes

I am so confused why people keep mentioning subdiv/opensubdiv along mesh editing performance. Those are modifiers, and have nothing to do with mesh editing performance.

My point is that modifier/GN performance in Blender is currently okay. Could be better of course, but it’s acceptable compared to other DCCs out there. What’s not acceptable, or comparable to other DCCs out there is just the mesh edit performance, as in performance in edit mode on high poly meshes, without any modifiers at all.

I am not saying that modifier/subdiv performance doesn’t need to be improved. I am just saying that when the vast majority talk about Blender’s mesh editing performance being bad, subdiv/opensubdiv/modifier performance doesn’t even cross their mind. So if Blender 3.0 came out with even 10x the modifier performance, most people would still not consider it any improvement in the area of mesh editing performance. So it’s a good idea to not conflate the two.

I can confirm that my example with moving car rim polygons FPS was increased from:

2.8 FPS (SDS Modifier enabled) and 3.5 FPS (SDS Modifier deleted) in 2.90.1
to
3.1 FPS (SDS Modifier enabled) and 4.2 FPS (SDS Modifier deleted) in 2.93
and
3.3 FPS (SDS Modifier enabled) and 4.4 FPS (SDS Modifier deleted) in 3.0.0 Alpha (13.06.2021 build)

boost about 20-25% in my case is not so significant, but in general it’s a noticeable progress.

1 Like