Notes for meeting of Tuesday, 14 April 2020. 18:00 CEST / UTC 16:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.
- Hans Goudey received a 3 month grant to work with the User Interface team. Welcome. The targets are yet to be defined, but for now he is working on drag and drop for the modifier stack.
bcon3 tomorrow (15/4).
Postponed for 2.90
- Further Multires changes
- EEVEE motion blur
- Mantaflow OpenVDB integration
- New operator search menu
- Wintab tablet updates
Still in the agenda:
- Mantaflow cache / replay improvements
- Splash screen drawing improvements
- Small sculpting improvements (D7147, D7335)
There is a decision to be made regarding enabling the new Undo by default. Brecht Van Lommel believes it can already be enabled, but Bastien Montagne still to make this call.
If there are too many high priority bugs open 2.83 could be postponed. But the current number of open bugs (>500) should not get on the way of that.
There might also still be LTS related changes coming to 2.83, particularly related to version numbers.
Workboard is still not updated (this was brought up last week’s meeting). Dalai Felinto will handle it next Monday if it is still not there by then.
- bcon1 tomorrow (15/4).
- Master open again after the branching.
- Pablo Dobarro asks about any pending design decision regarding Sculpt Vertex Colors (D5975). Jeroen Bakker to reply to that.
- Hans Goudey is working on modifier stack drag & drop. This can be used for other stacks too (e.g., Grease Pencil Modifiers)
Google Summer of Code
- Dalai Felinto to create a communication channel to coordinate the proposals review and subsequent work (yet to be decided if it will be devtalk or blender.chat or something else).
New Features and Changes
The last few features are being added to Blender 2.83 alpha.
- Shading: add Roughness input to Noise and Wave texture nodes. (Bartosz Moniewski)
- Solidify Modifier: add option for thickness per face for Complex mode, and support generating weights for the Bevel modifier. (Henrik Dick)
- Modifiers: option to use armature bone for texture coordinates in Displace, Warp and Wave. (Cody Winchester)
- Collections: preserve exclude of child collections when unexcluding. (Szymon Ulatowski)
- User Interface: splash screen option to select language. (Harley Acheson)
- Sequencer: add color Sample tool. (Richard Antalik)
- Windows: support high resolution tablet pen events when using Windows Ink. (Nicholas Rishel)