Why press Tab to enter edit mode?

But is it possible to enter the editing mode of objects using the keys 1 (vertices), 2 (edges), 3 (polygons), 4 (whole objects of polygons) how is this done in 3D max?
Similar logic is used in Сinema 4d, maya, 3d max and it is convenient.
Now every time I press extra tabs to enter the edit mode of the subobject and exit it.
I press tabs much more often than keys 1,2,3 (turning layers on and off) - which modelers do not need so often.
For example, for the modeler it’s faster to press 2 and immediately enter the editing mode of the edges of the object. To exit the editing mode, you can press 2 again or the additional button (for example, exit from any editing mode I have a tilde).
And make an outliner like in Cinema 4d, it’s also much more convenient, compact, you can immediately see all the materials (selection) on the objects.
Now it needs to be deployed to see that inside and so little information fits into it. Now he is losing a lot to the Cinema 4d outliner.
And rendering under the mouse pointer like Vray.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome!
Yes, you’re right about pressing 1, 2 or 3 to switch to edit mode with needed component level. Actually, you can do it in Blender by assigning custom hotkeys on operator object.mode_set_with_submode

2 Likes

Try the built-in IC keymap. It fixes this issue and many others.

2 Likes

Hi.

I also disliked the default Blender keymap; especially the requirement to press the TAB key to switch between Object and Edit mode. I think that it slows down the modeling workflow. So I tried the Industry Standard preset but there are hotkeys that I don’t like either.

So I created my own keymap preset, mixing the two other ones: this way, I keep most of the Blender hotkeys but to directly switch to Edit Vertex mode, Edit Edge mode, Edit Face, mode, I just have to press 1, 2 or 3. I assigned 4 to go back to Object mode.

I finished my preset by assigning Sculpt mode to 5, Vertex Paint mode to 6, Weight Paint to 7 and Texture Paint to 8.

If you want to do the same, go to Edit > Preferences > Keymap, extend the 3D View menu then the Object Non-modal menu, and add these custom hotkeys:

As you can see, I haven’t removed the TAB hotkey to switch between Object and Edit modes (because, long time habits are sometimes difficult to get rid of. That being said, I now rarely use TAB anymore).

PS : of course, I deactivated the “Hide Collection” hotkeys 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 overwise they would have conflicted with the same keys.

8 Likes

Haha :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:, I did exactly the same. Works like a charm for me. Makes most sense and fast to use.

1 Like

Hello friends, you were able to remove TAB only by half, but is it possible to do it like in 3D Max - pressing 1, 2, 3 again exits the editing mode?

Hello,
try this

For those who just want to get rid of the pie menu that now appears when pressing tab and switch directly between object mode and edit mode, as xan2622 said, you need to go to Preferences>Keymap>3D view>Object non-modal and delete the shortcut saying ‘Pie menu’.

“Hide Collection”(s) are the weirdest built-in keymaps for me. Never heard anyone using them. If pressing “5” set the subdiv level to 5, or set the wireframe opacity to 50%, or even activate the 5th tool on tool shelf, I won’t blink an eye. But hiding a collection…?

2 Likes

It uses a lot in specific tasks, like on the last video from Daniel Bystedt

He uses 1 and 2 collection to quick switch-hide between them.

Personally, I never hide collection this way, and first thing when I started to use Blender I changed 1 2 3 4 hotkeys to quick switch to vert/edge/face/object modes.