When to use APPLY confusion?

Last night I was thinking of how long I have been using Blender and NEVER knew about Apply. I tried looking to find out about when I needs to be used and there is nothing that as a User seems really clear-cut. As a programmer, I understand Commit and the need to reset the Origin, but from the outside User view, without knowing the coding, it is hard to really get a grasp on when it is vital to making something work right–like mesh on a path. I appreciate Falk’s careful explanation of the steps needed but it also strikes me as the feeling I got from “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” when we were told Earth was to be “cleared away” and that the notice was clearly posted on Rigel 4. IF you don’t have the Item / Transform open while working with this operation, there is no clue that you are doing anything wrong, except it is frustratingly erratic and won’t work—mesh gets distorted.

SO, I was wondering if there was a way to automatically Apply mesh changes IF it is in a committed curve-fit operation? OR at least if the Apply pie bounced onto the screen, like a prompt, when it would logically be needed to complete the change.

Destructive changes should never, ever happen automatically, implicitly or otherwise unbeknownst to the user. Some quality of life buttons could indeed be nice to have though. Like e.g. Move To Curve button in the Curve modifier.

On the contrary, there is nothing hard about this. Object mode transforms don’t modify geometry - that is all there is to it.

LOL this is done automatically everywhere. only blender still have this archaic workflow.

“apply scale” in 2021, really? :man_facepalming:

This issue was very close to get fixed… lol…

but no luck… :frowning:

So what constitutes “everywhere”? Because it’s not done in Max, Maya, Modo, Houdini… All of them keep your transforms intact and don’t molest your data without you saying so. Yes, in 2021. Ignorance of the tool does not invalidate the tool.

1 Like