UVProject Modifier - Use Self as Target Object?

I’m sorry if this is going to sound nooby but, well, it is, I have no idea what I’m doing, but I’m keen to learn. I have no experience in modifying Blender’s source code but I want to learn and get started.

I’m trying to investigate the possibility of a minor change to one of Blender’s modifiers that could be very useful, the UVProject modifier. I would like to take a stab at modifying the modifier (hah) to allow setting itself as the target object. To use it’s own object space to reproject UV coordinates.

This would be useful for my particular use case it would allow me to correct the UV mapping of decals created using a new method I’ve figured out without the use of an additional empty object.

Broadly speaking it could be just useful in general for fixing UV mapping on objects after destructive operations earlier in a modifier stack.

/blender/makesrna/intern/rna_modifier.c @ line 3177, inside of the RNA definition for the modifier has a line which seems relevant:

prop = RNA_def_property(srna, "object", PROP_POINTER, PROP_NONE);
	  RNA_def_property_struct_type(prop, "Object");
	  RNA_def_property_pointer_funcs(
	      prop, "rna_UVProjector_object_get", "rna_UVProjector_object_set", NULL, NULL);
	  RNA_def_property_flag(prop, PROP_EDITABLE | PROP_ID_SELF_CHECK);
	  RNA_def_property_ui_text(prop, "Object", "Object to use as projector transform");
	  RNA_def_property_update(prop, 0, "rna_Modifier_dependency_update");

The line is: “RNA_def_property_flag(prop, PROP_EDITABLE | PROP_ID_SELF_CHECK);”

PROP_ID_SELF_CHECK appears to be a flag that indicates a property can not reference itself.

I know I could simply test this by making this change and trying to compile Blender, but I just wanted to ask here first since I’m inexperienced at this stuff and want to know if I’m heading down the wrong path to even try this… Would allowing this modifier to reference itself be as simple as removing the | PROP_ID_SELF_CHECK, or would it be more complicated than that?

Thankyou for any help provided!