Unable to install dependencies using install_deps.sh for compiling blender Raspberry Pi 4

When I try to install dependencies for compiling blender, why do I get the following error:

Unpacking OpenColorIO-1.1.0

-- The C compiler identification is GNU 8.3.0
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 8.3.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 8.3.0
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- broken
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake- 
  3.13/Modules/CMakeTestCXXCompiler.cmake:45 (message):
  The C++ compiler

"/usr/bin/c++"

is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: /home/pi/src/blender-deps/OpenColorIO-1.1.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/make" "cmTC_1c38a/fast"
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTC_1c38a.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTC_1c38a.dir/build
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/src/blender-deps/OpenColorIO-1.1.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
Building CXX object CMakeFiles/cmTC_1c38a.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o
/usr/bin/c++    -fPIC -m32 -march=i686 -Wno-error=unused-function -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations    -o CMakeFiles/cmTC_1c38a.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o -c /home/pi/src/blender-deps/OpenColorIO-1.1.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCXXCompiler.cxx
c++: error: unrecognized -march target: i686
c++: note: valid arguments are: armv2 armv2a armv3 armv3m armv4 armv4t armv5 armv5t armv5e armv5te armv5tej armv6 armv6j armv6k armv6z armv6kz armv6zk armv6t2 armv6-m armv6s-m armv7 armv7-a armv7ve armv7-r armv7-m armv7e-m armv8-a armv8.1-a armv8.2-a armv8.3-a armv8.4-a armv8-m.base armv8-m.main armv8-r iwmmxt iwmmxt2 native
c++: error: missing argument to ‘-march=’
c++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-m32’; did you mean ‘-mbe32’?
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTC_1c38a.dir/build.make:66: 
CMakeFiles/cmTC_1c38a.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/src/blender-deps/OpenColorIO- 
1.1.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make: *** [Makefile:121: cmTC_1c38a/fast] Error 2

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
  Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:1 (project)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/pi/src/blender-deps/OpenColorIO- 
1.1.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/pi/src/blender-deps/OpenColorIO- 
1.1.0/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
cp: cannot stat 'ext/dist/lib/libtinyxml.a': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat 'ext/dist/lib/libyaml-cpp.a': No such file or 
directory
make: *** No rule to make target 'clean'.  Stop.

I am running this on a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB) (armv7l - 32 bit) Raspbian Buster

have you managed to solve this problem?
i m trying also at the moment to build Blender 2.80 on a RPI4, and i m having the same issue

@TaOuch No, I still haven’t found a solution. But, I think now Blender 2.8 is available on steam and also on snap store (but still for amd64 though). May be we can try installing from these sources if possible.

ok. i will not be able to check it for a week now. but i ll def try after.
i wouldnt want to be pessimistic, but there is low chance - almost to none - that a build an amd64 will work on an arm cpu. they have different instruction set.
i ll come back to you in a week tho :slight_smile:

The issue is in building OpenColorIO. I suggest to run install_deps.sh --skip-ocio to disable it for now, and disable any other libraries that give issues. Then once you have that building you could try to get everything working.

is it possible to compile Blender on ARM64 now? have you try in success?

No. Sorry. I have not managed, and then i gave up.

Debian and Arch repositories have ready-made binary packages available, but I do n’t know how they are compiled and generated. Even if the compilation is successful, the only available method at the moment is only cycles rendering, because most ARM architecture SOCs do not support OPENGL Can’t open UI, only command line cycles rendering

For Arch packages you can easily lookup the PKGBUIlD script in the package repository. For the Rpi version of blender the script can be found here: https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/aarch64/blender/files. For more info on how to use this check out the docs for the AUR (Arch User Repository), especially the makepkg tool

2 posts were split to a new topic: OpenEXR build error on Lunux