Theme Development - Paper Cuts

I am pretty sure they are not themed, because when you change the Wire Edit color in Themes/3D View, both curve’s segment and normal color change at the same time.

The solution, obviously is to separate the curve’s normal color from Wire Edit. Face, Vertex and Split normal have their own separate theme customizable colors, I am just saying curve’s normals should have their own color too to keep the coherence.

Here you go an example with curves normals size set to the minimum (1%).

2 Likes

Thank you friend, you made the problem clearer.

should be investigated if they are really un-themable

⚙ D5906 Theme: Popover search :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Confirmed. It’s un-theme-able.

1 Like

Great spirit of initiative man. :crossed_fingers:
For me that area of submitting code, even if it is fascinating, scares me, I dare not approach it :grin:

1 Like

It looks like an auto rgb on the default theme.
With some weird behavior, when I use auto rgb on a custom theme, it seems to remember the setting when restarting blender. I’ll investigate further…

@a.monti has already created a patch that is in review for this, even if it doesn’t really touch the colors.
https://developer.blender.org/D5882

Hi! That Auto RGB option uses the axes colors that you find in the User Interface section of the theme.
I also noticed that it misses an update somewhere, so that you don’t see them changing while picking the color, you need to manually update the graph editor by doing something (like toggling the visibility of a curve or moving one).

2 Likes

Jeroen Bakker created this differential and now is on review

Retopology: Overlay

TODO:

support edit mode face coloring (face selection etc)
XRay should not occlude wireframes

the task Prototype Retopology Overlay Drawing Techniques

I’m not sure but maybe it’s related to this:

and this

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this!

This is looks like another shading option. And I think this color should come from a theme setting :wink:

To solve the first issue and get this new overlay color the theme tree should look something like:

3D View
– Face Solid*
– Face Wire
– Face Retopology
– Face Selected
– Face Dot Selected
*current Face

And could Face Retopology share the Face Wire color? Something like Face Overlay? I’m not sure about the different use-cases here.

The second issue could be related to the drawing order. I’ll have to investigate further.

1 Like

I posted this in the Outliner thread, but maybe it fits here too.

Those blue highlight colors in the outliner they need an alpha value, so we would be able to turn them off.

4 Likes

@JeroenBakker we are looking at your new patch on retopology overlay and we think it may be the right time to fix some parts of teming badly handled with face coloring in edit mode, and wireframe mode., take a look at the posts just above. here and here

1 Like

All fuchsia color attributes are useless and should not be displayed.
Outliner is an extreme case, but it is not the only editor with attributes that are not used for now.
I think someone should do a bit of cleaning and generalize common attributes among Editors, and optionally customize them.

all areas have this theme space, but not all use it. they are dead zones, colors that are not linked to anything … it is a bit messed up at the level of user theming, but it does not create real problems. Certainly I consider it a low priority, if someone really wants to have fun cleaning.

My patch is not related to this topic. The retopology overlay color is an option that can be set per scene (tool option) as it is not useful as a theme option. But you’re looking at a 50% finished patch, so don’t make any assumptions. It clearly states that it is a prototype.

Papercuts are easy tasks for (new) developers to pick up. I am not up to speed with what has been approved and it is not clear by this thread also. It currently seems that there are more a collection of feature requests without a clear vision or design.

Thanks for the reply.
Only a clarification, these are not feature requests, they are small problems encountered during the creation of the themes.
They are a list of tiny problems, listed tasks to make life easier for some developers who want to solve them. They are not related to each other and can be solved separately from one another.

That problem of the colors of the faces in solid-edit mode, and of the opacity of the faces in wireframe mode which should be two separate and independent variables, seemed to us to be correlated with the prototype you are creating, that’s why I attracted your attention here, I apologize if I disturbed, I didn’t want to create noise.

In the NLA editor, there is no way to change that blue color for the object’s channel.

3 Likes

Maybe add text transform for texts?
For example, how it can be with uppercase headers:

and roundness of those elements