Theme Development - Paper Cuts

The UI currently takes its color from
3D View > Theme Space > Text Highlight

Would
3D View > Text info Text
3D View > Text info Shadow Strength
3D View > Text info Shadow Width
be better?

This is great! I’m glad you’re taking this on!

When I get some time I’ll look into the process of making these elements theme-able and hopefully document it if others want to help. My instinct is that it shouldn’t be a very complicated process, but we’ll see.

From talking to the UI developers briefly, it looks like they aren’t excited about adding new theme color options, so whatever elements need theme-able colors, we should try to find a theme color that they should follow from the ones that are already there.

2 Likes

Thanks HooglyBoogly!

I can imagine some changes are harder than others, it would be great to know so we can focus on the easy ones first :wink:

And this is a good insight. I’m curious if the reason behind the lack of excitement for more options is too many options. And if so, would renaming / restructuring of existing items be an option?

The text cursor is not theme-able, it could share the cursor color from the text editor.

Face orientation overlay:
%D0%A1%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%BA%20%D1%8D%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B0%20%D0%BE%D1%82%202019-09-21%2020-32-17

I don’t know is it part of the theme, or not. This is topic on rightclickselect: https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/RVcbbc/

4 Likes

Actually you can change the roundness of the node links.

Could be also good have option to edit the border of editor areas width

1 Like

Thank you! It is about an un-theme-able color so I’ve added it to the list.

Thank you! I’ve added Editor Outline Width to the list.

Separate colors for Outline Selected and Wireframe, please. :wink:

4 Likes

a problem that I find boring, is that I can’t create well selected faces colors (vertex and edge mode) with custom faces added colors, the alpha ignores the custom color of the faces … and so instead of creating “highlighted” colors it creates dark colors because the color of background is the gray color of object mode …

1 Like

Holy crap. Yes please, that’s annoying as hell. I ithink I already requested that somewhere tho. :thinking:

1 Like

Another thing that is boring, and it would be useful to have separated, is to have the color overlay and the opacity of the faces in solid mode and wireframe mode combined.
Currently I can’t create faces that are too dark or too light because I have the problem of having the same results in wirefame mode (for modeling of course) …

Solid mode and wireframe mode, are two separate modes, and therefore should be themable with colors and opacities independent of each other.

wireframe

3 Likes

I was talking about nodes, not links

2 Likes

A theme setting to adjust the roundness of those tabs.

Is there one already? I can’t find it.

4 Likes

I can’t find it either, I’ll put it on the list. I think it makes sense to share the same settings as User Interface > Tab > Roundness

Could you please share a screenshot of the issue? Currently, we have:
User Interface > 3D View > Wire
User Interface > 3D View > Wire Edit
User Interface > 3D View > Active Object (outline?)
User Interface > 3D View > Object Selected (outline?)

1 Like

Don’t forget, the famous line of N-panel without alpha control.

2 Likes

[Object Mode]

In the overlays we have those options “outline selected” and “wireframe”.

They are both linked to “3D View > Active Object” color

When you enable both of them, you get this:

Which is undesirable. People might be used to this in blender, but it’s not great.

So, ideally, the “wireframe” overlay should have it’s own separate color property, for more freedom (set to black by default)

Or it should at least be linked to “3D View > Wire” color. (In fact, it is actually linked to it, but in a buggy way. Somehow the"wire" color is affected by the “active object” color. There’s some weird mixing happening there. Maybe this is the thing that needs to be fixed)

So, with any of the above done or fixed, we would have the more pleasant and expected result, which is this:

7 Likes

nice investigation dude

1 Like

Thank you for explaining this ThinkingPolygons! And I think you are right that the Active Object or Object Selected should not affect the Wireframe viewport overlay color. It sounds like a straightforward solution to me. :wink:

1 Like