Phabricator has some quirks when it comes to design discussions IMHO, I think there’s a good chance this forum does a better job. I’d propose we try to use this forum for a few design tasks to see how it works.
A new category “User Interface” would make sense for this.
KDE uses a forum for design discussions as well, I think it works quite well for them.
Here’s why I think this Discourse forum may be better suited for (complex) design discussions:
- Better handling of long discussions
- Better markdown support
Yay, I can finally add nicely aligned descriptions to list items. Not possible in Phabricator
- Liking and bookmarking (to mark as read) of posts.
- New topics get saved as drafts
On Phabricator, you have to keep the page open when creating a new task. Close it and your input is lost.
- No overly annoying change logs & notifications
No more “Julian Eisel (Severin) updated the task description.” on every edit. This may be useful in some cases, but also adds a lot of visual clutter making the conversation hard to follow.
- Overall better looking and easier to read formatting.