Segfault/Access Violation in Blender 2.83 LTS using Crowdrender

Hey everyone (esp @brecht :wink: ) I’ve been happily testing blender 2.83 LTS with our latest versions of Crowdrender (early access, the currently publicly available builds seem ok). Sadly I got segfaults and access violations on mac/linux and windows respectively.

These issues were not present in 2.82a, so there have been some changes which have introduced this problem I think.

On linux, I got the following error message in the linux terminal I launched blender from after it crashed.

GPUTexture: create : TEXTURE_2D, SRGB8_ALPHA8, w : 1835102790, h : 540097125, d : 0, comp : 4, size : 1710.99 MiB
GPUTexture: texture alloc failed. Likely not enough Video Memory.
Current texture memory usage : 1710.99 MiB. 
GPUTexture: create : TEXTURE_2D, DEPTH24_STENCIL8, w : 1835102790, h : 540097125, d : 0, comp : 1, size : 1710.99 MiB
GPUTexture: texture alloc failed. Likely not enough Video Memory.
Current texture memory usage : 1710.99 MiB.
Bus error (core dumped)

With MacOS I get similar types of output from the MacOS crash report tool telling of methods with names like GPU Draw being implicated in the crashed thread.

Further to the above the viewport is corrupted for a moment prior to hitting render in our addon, I’ve attached screenshots of this happening. This is also not happening in blender 2.82a.

I’d appreciate any support from the blender devs on how to work around this as I’ve noticed its also happening in blender 2.90 as well so it seems whatever was introduced in 2.83 that is causing this is still in master.

Wishing you all the best

James

1 Like

Please report this to the bug tracker.

It’s hard to guess what might be the cause without knowing exactly how your add-on works and which part of it triggers the bug. Please add a crash log, on macOS you can get it by clicking Report… in the dialog after the crash, and on Windows you can run Blender with blender_debug_log.cmd.

1 Like

Hi Brecht, ok will do :slight_smile: