Real-time Compositor: Feedback and discussion

Incredible work so far Omar, I am really excited to see how this develops! I was very impressed when I tried a build and could overlay several video files with masking and blurs all playing back in realtime. As mentioned by others, seeing this integrate with the VSE longterm would be amazing.

You mentioned about redoing some of the noise nodes. Personally I would love to see integration with the new proposed texture nodes as a longterm goal. You could do some very nice 2d mograph using the realtime compositor and texture nodes. Has there been any talk of the texture nodes being able to be used in the compositor in the future?

We haven’t considered that yet, most likely because the new textures nodes are still in early stages of development, so it will take some time before we think about integration with the compositor. What we know, however, is that the available Textures node can not be used due to missing GPU acceleration and will be deprecated and removed when the new texture nodes gets introduced, so we will have to provide alternatives. Initially, the alternatives will likely just be a port of the shading textures nodes to the compositor, similar to how Geometry Nodes uses them.

5 Likes

I just gave it a try and blurring the default cube in the viewport alone brings pure joy!
:smiley:
This is fantastic and will save tons of time and enable a lot of great effects which would otherwise be allmost impossible.

3 Likes

Thank you for working on this.

Not sure if this is already fixed in the patches, but having a material with Mix Shader node connected to Diffuse BSDF or Principled BSDF crashes Blender, regardless of the viewport compositor. This does not happen in normal 3.3 alpha build of the same day (June 28).

Also suggestion. I guess this is a bit out of scope for the project but it would be convenient if Node Wrangler supports Shift + Alt + LMB shortcut in Compositor to connect the node to Composite node. Like how it connects to Group Output node in Geometry Nodes.

1 Like

I can reproduce the issue and will look into it. Thanks for the report!

Isn’t this supported using the Ctrl + Shift + LMB shortcut?

Hi, just opened it, but one issue that’s stopped me from trying it immediately is the ‘unsupported node’ message. This was because I had a texture node in the branch. This is fine, I understand it’s still a work in progress, but I’d suggest that muting unsupported nodes should then get it all working. At the moment it seems you have to remove the unsupported nodes. This is a bit of a nuisance having to remove and then re-add the unsupported nodes afterwards.

Also getting errors that frames and reroutes are unsupported. Perhaps they can be removed from the unsupported node list, as they don’t influence the result.

Amazing to see the lens dispersion in real time though! Awesome work.

As expected for MacOS, this version goes up in smoke on lastes macos version.
Just a cube, render layers node, lens distortion, composit and viewer node. (all those supposed to work)
Why is it for download if the version isn’t working out of the box after compiling for Mac. DID someone tested the build before uploading !?? :-1: :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:
Always the same with Windows developers…

Instant crash by switching to rendered mode !

system

1 Like

So nice to see this well developed already. It’s going to be a real game changer for Blender. Even small things, like doing some brightness/contrast adjustments and seeing it in the viewport is a big qol improvement.
But I was wondering if there are any plans to address the issue where any srgb image or video added to the compositor would get Blender’s view transform from the render tab applied to it, thus ruining the colors? Some direct control over which parts of the compositor node tree gets color managed would be really helpful.

2 Likes

I initially just made unsupported nodes pass their input through or return zero but it was later turned into this error during review, which I now realized needs more work. If you think the other approaches are better, we can look into restoring the old behavior.

I didn’t realize reroutes and frames were taken into account, will make sure to fix that regardless.

MacOS versions which don’t support OpenGL 4.3 are expected not to work. We should have communicated that better indeed.

There was recent work in that area with the Color Space node and Image node color space settings. While I will not be working on that area soon myself, I will definitely look into those concerns once the realtime compositor project is in a good state to prioritize other work.

3 Likes

Will this be ported to metal any time soon !?
Because otherwise it will be the same dudu as magic mouse implementation in addons!

And no single Dev. feels responsible when asked for those glitches to be fixed on macos, but every other tiny thing get’s fixed or implemented for Linux and Windows including the newes funniest equipment, but not magic mouse or any apple stuff that get’s sold by millions with the Mac. (Because of not so many users use macOS,… and what’s with Linux… how many are there, and is Linux used by more users…? )
It’s a shame - and please don’t wonder why getting this comments.
It’s not against you, it’s about how it is rated inhouse by the dev’s!

(The above are comments from blender.today YT, and other Dev’s about Apple, Mac, Magic Mouse collected since 1.5 years)

I think the best behavior would be to make them act like they are muted but display a little warning icon in the top like in geometry nodes. Ideally it would display a warning (“unsupported node” or something like that) when hovering over the icon or node.

The real-time compositor is built over the GPU module, which uses whatever back-end that is preferred by the underlying system. So when Apple finishes Metal support in Blender, it will automatically work on Metal with hopefully no changes in the real-time compositor itself.

I will look into displaying an icon similar to GN.

6 Likes

Providing muted nodes and nodes that don’t lead to the active composite node are excluded from your invalid node check, then you should be good to go :+1:

if you set the colour management to standard, then you can use the ‘Color Space’ node at any point in the branch that you want. It can convert from and to all colour spaces. You do need to gamma correct it though with a gamma node after the color space node, not sure why.

1 Like

Is there any info available about hardware requirements for this (other than OpenGL 4.3 support)?

Once multi-pass rendering will be supported, will this allow to fetch renderlayers from several different scene-datablocks? Such as to e.g. compose a split screen from several camera-views (each scene obviously only ever containing a single active camera)?

@OmarEmaraDev , could you give me a rough idea of which areas of the source code I need to change to add a depth input to the Displace node? I want to make it so that pixels are processed in order of z-depth, so that front areas will never be overwritten by static backgrounds such as HDRI’s, such as here where the top monkey is displaced to the right, but the displaced version has all of the right hand side of the face missing because the static background pixels were calculated afterwards (presumably).

before displace

after displaced to the right:

The “gamma correct” term doesn’t help again in this conversation. The reason for the need though, is that after you transform it from Linear or the Linear BT.709 working space to a formed image Filmic sRGB, the image data of Filmic sRGB is ready to be sent to the monitor, your monitor has a built in transfer function, so the Filmic sRGB is under the assumption that you image will go through that monitor’s transfer function afterwards, but instead it gets sent into compositor with the Linear BT.709 working space. Therefore what should be done is to add another node after it and convert from “ready to be displayed by sRGB monitor” to “Linearized Closed Domain sRGB”. In other words:

3 Likes

The official hardware requirements are the same as Blender’s Requirements — blender.org. However, this is not a hard requirement, as any GPU that supports 1) “Compute Shaders” and 2) “Image Load Stores Operations” should be supported. In fact, I developed the project on an old ATI GPU from 12 years ago that only officially supports OpenGL 3.2 and does not fit the hardware requirements of Blender. So just try your hardware even if it is old, it might just work.

Compositing multiple scenes should be possible yes. More information about this should be available once we start the implementation.

1 Like

yeah would be nice for the node to automatically do that for you based on the display device chosen in the colour management options.

By the way, do you know why even after gamma correcting, the linear to filmic srgb still doesn’t match the result of setting the view transform to filmic in the color management options?

different result to:

Did you try my above screenshot?

It should match if you follow the exact setup

2 Likes