Real-time Compositor: Feedback and discussion

This is expected as multi-layer and multi-pass rendering is not yet supported.
We haven’t started in implementing support for that, but I will make sure to let you know when we do.

5 Likes

Is it possible to use Real-time compositor with OpenCV - streaming video and use RT-Compositor over live input video. Just wondering.

No, the realtime compositor is only used for viewport compositing at the moment.

Excuse me if this has already been answered, I was going to ask if Viewport Compositing is compatible with EEVEE and Cycles or EEVEE only

Thank you in advance for the answer, and for the work you do and the efforts you put in!

It works with any render engine that supports viewport rendering, including Cycles.

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Compositor ideas

One of the real-time compositor to-do’s is:

“Multi-pass compositing. Needs sizable changes in the draw module and render engines.”

Once this is complete, will the backend foundation be laid for light linking or is that a whole other set of challenges?

1 Like

Hey Omar, did you work on the Scale Node already?

Hi, it is ready for review already: ⚙ D15758 Realtime Compositor: Implement scale node

Cheers, mib

2 Likes

As far as I know, light linking will be done at the render engine level, so I am not sure why the compositor would be involved.

are there any latest builds that we can play with? I’m interested in the viewport compositor. Is there a difference between the viewport and real-time compositor?

You should read up the blog post

As a first step, this new back-end will be used to power the Viewport Compositor , a new shading option that applies the result of the Compositor Editor node-tree directly in the 3D Viewport. Artists will not have to wait for a full render to start compositing, allowing for faster and more interactive iterations on one’s projects.

seems to be nothing here

The realtime compositor already landed in master as an experimental option. So just download the latest 3.4 build from https://builder.blender.org/. See the blog post for more information.

2 Likes

Heya,

Just trying to run a simple A over B operation using view layers and can’t seem to get it to work.

Is there a trick to this or is this not supported?

Multi-pass and multi-layer compositing is not yet supported.

Do you have any thoughts on how A over B might be achieved?

Object id, Material ID maybe?

When they are supported, sure, they should work just like the existing compositor.

1 Like

This is just a heads up on A over B comping

The test was link individual objects out to thier own scenes and have all the same objects live in a comp scene. This way I might be able to have the Comp scene A over B or B over A for by reading in different scenes.

The hack workflow didn’t work for me. I think this is because it only reads what’s directly in the current scene, not scenes. I thought that this might work because the compositor can read external images and the current scene.

Not a recommended workflow.

Scenes

Color selection mask

Object ID node instead of cryptomatte pass might be easier