Procedural Cycles nodes summer of code

May I add this to the list?

Oh, and also many people ask for a Time/Frame node, an idea that could be expanded to a whole Scene info node if needed

1 Like

I will do a whole topic instead on this later but I hope I helped

There’s is no official approved list. But mainly I think important would be adding more noise types. Some higher level nodes may work best as bundled node groups, and some building blocks for them could be added as needed.

User interface improvements to the node editor would help too, but maybe that’s going too far into a different project. I would only add relatively simple changes. Node thumbnails, adaptive node socket types and better node groups are probably best left for another project, since they are complex changes on their own. Unifying texture nodes with other parts of Blender is one of the GSoC ideas, that is a whole project on its own.

@brecht I see. I think it is best that I pull out of GSOC this year and attempt to join next year with a stronger more planned proposal. The current proposal has become rather vague and somewhat subjective.

However, I still would like to contribute to Blender outside of GSOC, perhaps by implementing some of the smaller changes I already proposed such as D4625. Would you be ok with that?

It’s up to you really, the proposal could work.

Contributing outside of GSoC is always welcome.

Ok, but it is not exactly clear to me what should be done at this point. Should I add more basic noise types to the proposal? What else should be done to complete the proposal?

I think this particular one is already covered with the “frame” script expression.

Still, good list compilation!

Would be a shame if you’d pull back. Was looking forward to this. :slight_smile:

I really love #1 and #2 of dodododorians list.

and

Maybe in addition to your current proposal.
All in all this would be a dream come true for us node peasants :wink:

1 Like

I’m not even sure how you would combine all those suggestions into a proposal that doesn’t look like a disjointed mess that’ll probably be rejected for a lack of focus. @OmarEmaraDev asked for help with his “cycles proposal” and you guys throw everything but the kitchen sink at him, I know you’re excited but honestly are just setting him up for failure and overwhelmed him to the point he’s thinking of backing out all together.

@OmarEmaraDev write the best proposal you can, stick to a single part of blender and pick the bits and pieces you think you can complete in the time you have, and don’t let the enthusiastic users scare you too much. They are *very* enthusiastic but mostly harmless, I promise!

7 Likes

i agree totally with you about the “overwhelming” argument. i just thought that brecht oriented the proposal to a more "node improvement in general’ proposal. i personally dont see why that’s wrong. but well point taken.

@OmarEmaraDev While you’re working on the math nodes, might we have a Math Expression node, where you could just type what you want instead of adding more and more nodes?

2 Likes

The biggest improvement in terms of procedural content creation in Blender would be ability to use Cycles node networks in modifiers, such as displace modifier. It would allow for all sorts of interesting effects, but most importantly at least basic ability for proper procedural terrains creation. Right now, only legacy Blender internal textures can be used in modifiers, and only in a very limited manner.

2 Likes

That’s the idea listed here:
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/GSoC/Ideas_Suggestions

Yes, I think adding some ideas to extend the noise types to the proposal would be good. Doesn’t have to be strictly defined and details can be decided afterwards if the proposal is accepted. It just seems that the current proposal might not be enough to fill the entire summer of code period, so it helps to add some indication of more things that you could work on if there is time.

No, that’s too complex a project to add onto this proposal.

Alright, thanks @brecht and @LazyDodo . I will update the proposal.

2 Likes

Try giving OSL a whirl for that.

I love OSL, but it doesn’t work on GPU, so…

1 Like

If all you need is the mathy bits, OSLPY will do it , I still need to update it for 2.8 though.

2 Likes

Hi @OmarEmaraDev,

Thanks for the useful new nodes. :+1:

When I load an older scene that uses vertex colors using the old Attribute ➔ Col node, the vertex colors aren’t properly displayed anymore. Is there a possibility to fix this, so older scenes using vertex colors through the Attribute node will be auto-converted to the new Vertex Color node?

Hi @MetinSeven,

It would be nice if you can give more details. How are the colors not displayed correctly?

1 Like