Problems building and running Blender on Manjaro

Hi! I’m looking to get into contributing to Blender. I have a list of some things I think might be simple to tackle, so I’m starting out by getting set up to build Blender from source.

I’m using Manjaro, so I followed the instructions here

A few times running make I got an error similar to what follows. I tried disabling OpenVDB, then Alembic and that worked.

Makefile:160: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

So the build is now finished, but I think something didn’t work correctly, because when I run “./blender”, I get the following error. I’m running this command because the .desktop doesn’t work either.

./blender: error while loading shared libraries: liboslcomp.so.1.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Install_deps.sh finished, so I’m not sure what the problem is here, does anyone have an idea?

I’m sorry that this is sort of a nooby question, but I’ve been trying to get this to work for quite a while, I even switched distros hoping that might help.

Thank you!

0 Likes

I know I probably need to provide more detail in the error messages. Tomorrow I will start the process from scratch and document the error messages I receive better. But I still feel I might be missing something which is why I posted.

0 Likes

Ok, I have no idea what I did differently, or even if I did something differently, but I restarted the process and it worked fine this time.

I can’t delete the post, but feel free to.

1 Like

Update! I’m getting this error again on a different computer with a fresh install of Manjaro Gnome, so I think this problem is not just me. I wanted to document the issue before I mess around trying to fix it because this feels a bit like a bug in the building process.

Here’s the process I followed:

1. Followed the process on the building Blender page for cloning and updating the source.

2. Ran install_deps.sh with no arguments. --> Dependencies succesfully installed.

3. Used the make command provided by the install deps script:

make -j16 BUILD_CMAKE_ARGS="-U SNDFILE -U PYTHON -U BOOST -U Boost -U OPENCOLORIO -U OPENEXR -U OPENIMAGEIO -U LLVM -U CYCLES -U OPENSUBDIV -U OPENVDB -U COLLADA -U FFMPEG -U ALEMBIC -D WITH_CODEC_SNDFILE=ON -D PYTHON_VERSION=3.7 -D WITH_OPENCOLORIO=ON -D WITH_CYCLES_OSL=ON -D WITH_LLVM=ON -D LLVM_VERSION=6.0.1 -D OSL_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/osl -D LLVM_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/llvm -D LLVM_STATIC=ON -D WITH_OPENSUBDIV=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB_BLOSC=ON -D WITH_ALEMBIC=ON -D ALEMBIC_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/alembic -D WITH_CODEC_FFMPEG=ON -D FFMPEG_LIBRARIES=‘avformat;avcodec;avutil;avdevice;swscale;swresample;lzma;rt;theora;theoradec;theoraenc;vorbis;vorbisenc;vorbisfile;ogg;x264;openjp2’"

–> Failure in linking process because of missing OpenVDB.

4. Remove OpenVDB 6.0.0-2 (installed by install-deps.sh) with package manager.

5. Ran install-deps --build-openvdb hoping to get around this issue. --> Successfully built dependencies.

6. Used the new make command provided by shell script:

make -j16 BUILD_CMAKE_ARGS="-U SNDFILE -U PYTHON -U BOOST -U Boost -U OPENCOLORIO -U OPENEXR -U OPENIMAGEIO -U LLVM -U CYCLES -U OPENSUBDIV -U OPENVDB -U COLLADA -U FFMPEG -U ALEMBIC -D WITH_CODEC_SNDFILE=ON -D PYTHON_VERSION=3.7 -D WITH_OPENCOLORIO=ON -D WITH_CYCLES_OSL=ON -D WITH_LLVM=ON -D LLVM_VERSION=6.0.1 -D OSL_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/osl -D LLVM_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/llvm -D LLVM_STATIC=ON -D WITH_OPENSUBDIV=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB_BLOSC=ON -D OPENVDB_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/openvdb -D WITH_ALEMBIC=ON -D ALEMBIC_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/alembic -D WITH_CODEC_FFMPEG=ON -D FFMPEG_LIBRARIES=‘avformat;avcodec;avutil;avdevice;swscale;swresample;lzma;rt;theora;theoradec;theoraenc;vorbis;vorbisenc;vorbisfile;ogg;x264;openjp2’"

–> Blender successfully built

7. ../build_linux/bin/blender: error while loading shared libraries: liboslcomp.so.1.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

0 Likes

You need to enable WITH_OPENVDB_3_ABI_COMPATIBLE when building Blender with OpenVDB on an Arch distro

0 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try that without the manual build of openvdb. Maybe the dependency script should be updated so more people don’t run into this problem?

0 Likes