Problems building and running Blender on Manjaro

Hi! I’m looking to get into contributing to Blender. I have a list of some things I think might be simple to tackle, so I’m starting out by getting set up to build Blender from source.

I’m using Manjaro, so I followed the instructions here

A few times running make I got an error similar to what follows. I tried disabling OpenVDB, then Alembic and that worked.

Makefile:160: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

So the build is now finished, but I think something didn’t work correctly, because when I run “./blender”, I get the following error. I’m running this command because the .desktop doesn’t work either.

./blender: error while loading shared libraries: liboslcomp.so.1.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Install_deps.sh finished, so I’m not sure what the problem is here, does anyone have an idea?

I’m sorry that this is sort of a nooby question, but I’ve been trying to get this to work for quite a while, I even switched distros hoping that might help.

Thank you!

I know I probably need to provide more detail in the error messages. Tomorrow I will start the process from scratch and document the error messages I receive better. But I still feel I might be missing something which is why I posted.

Ok, I have no idea what I did differently, or even if I did something differently, but I restarted the process and it worked fine this time.

I can’t delete the post, but feel free to.

1 Like

Update! I’m getting this error again on a different computer with a fresh install of Manjaro Gnome, so I think this problem is not just me. I wanted to document the issue before I mess around trying to fix it because this feels a bit like a bug in the building process.

Here’s the process I followed:

1. Followed the process on the building Blender page for cloning and updating the source.

2. Ran install_deps.sh with no arguments. --> Dependencies succesfully installed.

3. Used the make command provided by the install deps script:

make -j16 BUILD_CMAKE_ARGS="-U SNDFILE -U PYTHON -U BOOST -U Boost -U OPENCOLORIO -U OPENEXR -U OPENIMAGEIO -U LLVM -U CYCLES -U OPENSUBDIV -U OPENVDB -U COLLADA -U FFMPEG -U ALEMBIC -D WITH_CODEC_SNDFILE=ON -D PYTHON_VERSION=3.7 -D WITH_OPENCOLORIO=ON -D WITH_CYCLES_OSL=ON -D WITH_LLVM=ON -D LLVM_VERSION=6.0.1 -D OSL_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/osl -D LLVM_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/llvm -D LLVM_STATIC=ON -D WITH_OPENSUBDIV=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB_BLOSC=ON -D WITH_ALEMBIC=ON -D ALEMBIC_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/alembic -D WITH_CODEC_FFMPEG=ON -D FFMPEG_LIBRARIES=‘avformat;avcodec;avutil;avdevice;swscale;swresample;lzma;rt;theora;theoradec;theoraenc;vorbis;vorbisenc;vorbisfile;ogg;x264;openjp2’"

–> Failure in linking process because of missing OpenVDB.

4. Remove OpenVDB 6.0.0-2 (installed by install-deps.sh) with package manager.

5. Ran install-deps --build-openvdb hoping to get around this issue. --> Successfully built dependencies.

6. Used the new make command provided by shell script:

make -j16 BUILD_CMAKE_ARGS="-U SNDFILE -U PYTHON -U BOOST -U Boost -U OPENCOLORIO -U OPENEXR -U OPENIMAGEIO -U LLVM -U CYCLES -U OPENSUBDIV -U OPENVDB -U COLLADA -U FFMPEG -U ALEMBIC -D WITH_CODEC_SNDFILE=ON -D PYTHON_VERSION=3.7 -D WITH_OPENCOLORIO=ON -D WITH_CYCLES_OSL=ON -D WITH_LLVM=ON -D LLVM_VERSION=6.0.1 -D OSL_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/osl -D LLVM_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/llvm -D LLVM_STATIC=ON -D WITH_OPENSUBDIV=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB=ON -D WITH_OPENVDB_BLOSC=ON -D OPENVDB_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/openvdb -D WITH_ALEMBIC=ON -D ALEMBIC_ROOT_DIR=/opt/lib/alembic -D WITH_CODEC_FFMPEG=ON -D FFMPEG_LIBRARIES=‘avformat;avcodec;avutil;avdevice;swscale;swresample;lzma;rt;theora;theoradec;theoraenc;vorbis;vorbisenc;vorbisfile;ogg;x264;openjp2’"

–> Blender successfully built

7. ../build_linux/bin/blender: error while loading shared libraries: liboslcomp.so.1.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You need to enable WITH_OPENVDB_3_ABI_COMPATIBLE when building Blender with OpenVDB on an Arch distro

Thanks! I’ll try that without the manual build of openvdb. Maybe the dependency script should be updated so more people don’t run into this problem?

I’m getting the same error, but I do have -D WITH_OPENVDB_3_ABI_COMPATIBLE=ON
I also have Embree disabled because that was causing some trouble.

edit: Forgot to mention that I’m also on Manjaro

I think the general thing I did to fix it was building more of the packages manually with install-deps.sh until it started to work. Also with the package manager I checked the location of the system libraries and corrected them in Cmake.

I can provide more detail about my setup in a bit. It’s got to just be some combination of install-deps options and cmake variables.

I’ve got it to build eventually, not sure what I exactly did…
However I can’t get it to build with Embree. Do you have any tips there? I just the deps_install.sh with all dependencies and also installed embree via the package managerlater because that helped with alembic and openvdb for me