"Principled v2" feedback/discussion thread

All these new features and changes make the new Principled better and better every day. I love it!

The one thing that still bugs me is that none of the values have a proper default set. So if I want to quickly reset something by pressing the backspace key, I get 0.0 or black (which is useless).
While the whole interface of the Principled is getting a revamp, I hope that this gets fixed too.

12 Likes

Reality is one thing, artistic rendering is another

That is a known issue for all node editors in general. Defaults are not working there

Sure,but what if you want to tint the clear coat a bit yellow like a thick old clearcoat layer?Then the absorption tint makes the most sence with the correct white reflection.

Otherwise you would tint the reflection as well,thats NPR.

The specular layer is already tintable, which you said is a property of metals. Since we’re already in NPR territory, why not let the user tint the clearcoat reflection as well ? it sounds like it could be useful.

I know (it’s a problem all over Blender) and now that the UI gets an overhaul I hoped that this could get fixed at least for the most complex shader that everybody uses most of the time.
I would even be willing to volunteer to enter the default values in all the source files, if I only knew where.
This should be low hanging fruit even for a non-coder like me.

I noticed that 3rd party addons like e.g. Octane have proper defaults, so it can’t be a problem that can’t be solved.

3 Likes

I agree. It always happens to me that when adding a bump node, for example, the default values are so high that they are unusable (Strength: 1, Distance: 1). It would be a good change and would save time.

2 Likes

Hi there, I am maintaining the io_scene_3ds addon and have a question regarding specularity. In 3ds the definition is specular color but this was not available in principled bsdf so I choosed specular as channel for the specular color texture. Now since specular tint is a color my question is, if it will also support mapping textures like the specular IOR level. the 3ds IO uses node_shader_utils, will specular tint texture be included in future?

2 Likes

I added it now:

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick commit, the 3ds script now also got the update:
io_scene_3ds: Moved specular color texture to specular tint

Yes you can tint the specular.If you use the coat layer as well,you could as sayed before color the absorption of the clearcoat layer but keep the white reflections.
Additional if reflections on the surface underneath the clearcoat is appearing to white and you want to fit the specular to the absorptive coating layer,then the specular tint could make sence.

I guess most artist would use a clearcoat with white reflection,and i think the idea was to use the tint as absorption color.

Btw you can mask which specular tint you want and where,like in this simple example.

When will hin Film Thickness be added?

2 Likes

In the most recent build, Transmission was moved from the “entry level” inputs to a Transmission subpanel. While I can imagine this was done for other future options to be put under a transmission “umbrella”, I think it’s such a common material property that it was good to have it visible in the top main properties, rather than in a subpanel where now it’s the only input.

1 Like

I guess there soon will be additional transmission features like “Nested Dielectrics”, “Thin Walled”, “Fake Shadows” or “Dispersion” (just wild guesses) added and they might land there.

4 Likes

Yeah I guessed the same. Maybe, as the Specular subpanel has more technical options but roughness is exposed on top, could be the same with transmission.

@lukasstockner97 @brecht

Can we make the panels expand when you drag the curser across the icons(arrows) ? Just like in collections.

And if we can highlight and select which socket an input connects to especially when dragging from a node to a collapsed Principled BSDF node??

5 Likes

I agree, and I would bring it even further, as it would be a great opportunity to take care of the SSS Radius UI.
As far as I know, it’s the only vector in the whole Blender that you need to access with a drop-down. Besides not being aestetically pleasing and quite clunky to work with, now that we have subpanels we could just expose it as any vector.

18 Likes

Fully agree with this! I’ve never liked not being able to readily see what my subsurf’s radius settings are. I’d rather a longer node than one where I can’t readily see something.

1 Like

I still really feel the text needs to be aligned flush left. Without this alignment, some entries feel unrelated to the grouping they belong to. In my example, ‘Tint’ and ‘Normal’ give the appearance that they are unrelated to ‘Coat’ even though they reside in the darkened Coat grouping.

18 Likes

This is listed as a TODO in #112506 - Node Panels Polishing - blender - Blender Projects

5 Likes