Pie menu disable on release key patch

The cases you’re talking about here still work with my code perfectly. Except clicking because it loses its meaning.

Ok then - if it’s able to fix the inconsistent glitch we had for release event, then I think that sounds good.

The easiest thing is to copy the code fragment and try it yourself, so you can tell me what you think.

1 Like

Ok, I’ve tested it now.

We cannot accept this. This change makes it so pie menus are instantly dismissed, even if you just tap to open a pie menu. This is no good. It must be possible to tap to open a pie menu normally, without having to hold a key.

Not even optionally?. Well then someone tell me how I can deactivate all the pie menus easily without having to go changing one by one all the hotkeys thank you.

my 2 cent
could not be written so that if you keep pressed for a minimum of thousandths of seconds activate the “tap pressed = disable on release” otherwise “on tap just open the pie menu without closing release”?

It already works like this, essentially. There’s just a glitch that makes it so it doesn’t work if you don’t move the cursor, that’s all.

I tried to investigate in all ways on windows 10 how to disable this damn function but I could not disable it

There’s no need for this option at all. You can already hold -> release to select items in the pie menus. You can also tap and then click. Both methods work, and should continue to work.

If the glitch is fixed so that you can release after holding, even if the cursor doesn’t move, then we are all set.

The main problem is when you press a shortcut by mistake such as ctrl + tab and did not expect to see a pie menu on your screen and by mistake you are forced to make an extra click or give esc to remove the pie menu.

1 Like

So there’s no way to deactivate all the pie menus easily?

You can use the old shortcuts and behaviour by picking the 2.7x keymap. But, we will make sure to only add pie menus where it makes sense.

Pie menus are faster than regular menus, and allow us to make better use of the keyboard layout.

Pie menus can be improved by making some small changes. Details here: https://developer.blender.org/T56949

I don’t see the problem in including an option in preferences to enable the behavior that makes me foot menus not uncomfortable to use for myself and for many others. Being optional and so easy to implement, I really don’t understand.

Because if the glitch is fixed, then this change is redundant. What you did is a workaround for a glitchy behaviour. We should rather fix the problem, rather than adding yet another option, to try and circumvent it.

As far as I can tell there was no intention to make the pie menu disappear when releasing the key after holding it. This could be added relatively easy though, by checking if some amount of time has passed.

3 Likes

my other 2 cent …
another thing I thought about …
I think many who hate the pie menu, it is because of the wide circumference and the radius of distance between the center from where the cursor is activated and the buttons … I’m sure that if it was halved the distance would be accepted and loved more

I want to say … I think there is a reason why many are bothered by this wide circumference … we are used for years menu with all the buttons nearby

It already does this. Just not if you don’t move the cursor. I think we should just make it do that, regardless of whether the cursor was moved or not.

I just found out from a post on blenderartists that the circumference of the pie menu is configurable in the preferences … now that they sound better ^ __ ^
Screenshot%20(38)

1 Like

@billrey @zebus3d @brecht Please review my post with Pie menu fix here:
https://developer.blender.org/T56949

I believe this fits with the intended behaviour. Setting the tap timeout to 0 works as Zebus prefers, setting it to 20 (default) or so will cause short taps (<0.2s) to stick the pie menu open, setting it to 1000 will make it act like it is now where a very long hold ( <10s) will still result in the pie menu sticking open.

6 Likes

@JJones @brecht Thank you very much!!, great job!!, Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like