Performance - Speed up workflow- in Blender

what are you saying? it refers to when you need to set the brush size

Press F -> change the size -> click with the mouse complete the operation

Who uses F to complete the operation?

ok, Iā€™ve checked, youā€™re right :slight_smile:
I had misunderstanding, I thought you wanted to delete the F key :joy:

but I still believe for painting and sculpt, the suggestion is valid, itā€™s a speedup ā€¦ (consider that these are operations that must be done quickly and many times)

as this is also in great demand in these areas

I think that is a preference, press F and click is easier than hold a key (remember Blender preference for less damage controls). The actual solution is the same way that photoshop worksā€¦ click to confirm. Also with that you lose the option to cancel the change (RMB).

But it was the way that old Grease pencil worked, with D, so it must be implemented.

I field the multiplicity of single operations to be done in a minute. speeding up these operations is necessary like water in painting and sculping

Consider that these operations should be done quickly and many many many many times in a single job.

Do you have any idea how much time to lose with the current way to work? :relaxed:

Since the difference between press a key/click and release a key is near zero, the time that the user can waste is near zero. For your brain is a quick action with your finger. Other thing is remove actions or complex actions like ā€œShift+Alt+C+Suprā€.

trust, for a single click you donā€™t feel,
but in 8 hours multiplied by a month, you could avoid a carpal tunnel :joy:

If you see the people have carpal tunnel mainly in the right hand for a simple reason, we use hold with the mouse constantly. But it less frequent in the left hand because we only use clicks. So if we want to avoid carpal tunnel we need to use clicks to confirm instead of hold and release.

the work is well sorted on two hands. so less carpal tunnel :grin::see_no_evil:
(Iā€™ll stop here, the flag will come soon)

1 Like

yes correct, python, c and c++

Also, if you have a beer on your left hand, you can always right click.
2019-09-15_15-34-39
:stuck_out_tongue:

Can we close this thread? I donā€™t see any revelance with the current development. It looks more like a post for Blender.Today or many Rightclickselect posts.

3 Likes

I come from 3dsmax and i miss the following features

• ability to move py scripts onto the menu (creates a custom icon)
  • customizing the ui (adding your own float menus) ( whole theme ui / icons also lack color)
  • if you have too many addons installed you will not find anything anymore. Maybe an hide/show/exclude/include or color option? (rename option to make text shorter or replace with custom icons from your harddrive).
  • i want to add certain f3 things to my favourites menu but at the moment you cannot right click.
  • edge / face constraints (so you can rotate edges easily without messing up the form)
  • edge extrude via gizmo (shift+drag)
  • auto save could need some improvements as well (feels unreliable sometimes, had a crash once and didnā€™t save).
  • curve point fillets
  • color seperation between 2 modifiers, i always need to double check if i am on the right modifier, since itā€™s hard to see where it ends and where the next one starts.
  • quick viewport render without cameras (i know theres viewport render but itā€™s just like a screenshot)
  • custom scale & move shortcut not working in uv editor, (it should always override if you set a custom shortcut within uv editor imo) it worked with 3dview.
  • fast dragging vertex/edge/poly (currently u have to select them first, iā€™d like an option where u can just drag onto another & it will automatically select+drag (move) them.
  • object vertex snap is bad for some reason. It will rotate around for no reason (u can test it with 2 cubes trying to vertex snap certain corners)
  • easy origin change next to move tool
  • settings option ā€œforce gpu renderā€ for all files

otherwise i like blender, keep up the good work guys : )

2 Likes

Somewhat so. But theres a whole lot that is hardcoded in C/C++. Too much IMHO.

Like in c4d where we can search for the python script and drag it anywhere in the UI, or even in the viewport?

2019-09-15_18-22-12
:smile: :smile: :smile: I love it.

This is something we are asking since forever. Even today I saw something on RCS. lol
But this needs to be feature complete, and not just for edges.

I already tried my best. lol

Thatā€™s the tweak tool.

2019-09-15_18-12-32

2 Likes

I agree. There are more appropriate places for this. All these ideas are quiet scattered so I feel RCS would be a good fit.

1 Like

@Momotron2000 & @Bobo_The_Imp How about you two stay out of this thread?
People here are giving their feedback and thinking of ways of improving blender. If you are against it then donā€™t waste your precious time reading this thread. :wave:

Right click select has an environment that allows you to present one idea at a time that may be voted upon and easily sorted with a tag system for developers to see, and keeps the discussion purely about that post. This thread does not. It is very difficult to guage what is actionable within this thread as most people are just posting random, and often not correlated ideas in a long list. There is no single topic, itā€™s just a barrel of assorted ideas.

Everyone is absolutely free to continue this thread, but I will suggest that if you really want to have your ideas heard, separate them into their own distinct posts and create new topics here, so everyones ideas can be evaluated and discussed more efficiently. Once again, however, I feel Right Click Select is a better fit for this kind of thing.

1 Like

Sorry, I remembered it wrong.

Because this function is really awkward with this, I downloaded the source code to modify this feature.

But because I am not a professional developer, I just changed the code very rudely, only with specific shortcuts, so I didnā€™t submit it.

The fastest way is to press F to move the mouse.
Release F to complete the setting size. No need to click the mouse.

Press F to move the mouse, release F, complete the size setting, the whole process is less than one second.

It takes half the time and effort to click a mouse.

You can try it in the process of high frequency carving or painting.
How convenient this change will be.

Especially when using the tablet, you need to click more, which greatly affects the efficiency.