I have two small papercuts regarding the copy/paste behavior in the viewport. This could be a quick and easy win in regards to usability and step forward towards industry-standard UX.
1. Gizmo position of pasted objects
I actually believe this one might be a bug, but it’s connected with the second point.
When pasting an object, the gizmo is not positioned at the newly created object, where you would expect it. Instead, there are two cases:
- If there is a selection somewhere else before pasting, the gizmo ends up in the wrong position. Example:
- If there is no selection before pasting, there is no gizmo appearing at all. Example:
2. Pasted object isn’t active
When pasting an object, arguably most users want to have control over it straight away. Therefore it’s not clear why the pasted object doesn’t become active.
This can lead to unexpected results.
In this example I want to copy and paste the light, move it to the side and change its color.
- The gizmo could always appear where the object is pasted (belonging to the new object).
- The pasted objects could become active. When multiple objects are pasted, the selection and active object could be transferred to the newly pasted ones. Also, all previous selections could be deselected after pasting.
Thanks for consideration