New Solidify Modifier

Oh, my bad matt, I assumed too much. If the new version doesn’t have Offset now one hopes it does when/if it’s merged with the current one. I use that setting almost 100% of the time.

2 Likes

It won’t have the offset option, because my modifier does not distinguish between front and backside. That is also the reason why it work in all cases and why the current solidify does not work in all cases. As far as I have come yet I have implemented it as a second option (just like the modes in Subsuf Modifier) so you will be able to chose the correct solidify method for your object. Maybe I will add some of the additional features of my variant (when it comes to the position calculation of the new vertices) to the original simple solidify method.
Currently I’m stuck at a point, where my Modifier runs, but Blender stops after running it in some endless loop outside my code and I don’t know where. I will ask this in the #blender-coders chat and see if someone knows a reason, but if someone here knows a reason, don’t hesitate to answer.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update and details. Good luck with the rest of the integration.

I made a diff here:
https://developer.blender.org/D5766
This is my first code contribution to blender, so I hope everything is correctly done. Also If someone could review my code to have it in blender 2.81, that would be great!

5 Likes

Error bulding in windows, in lite and full

what is the Error Message? In Linux it builds fine for me…
Also I’m not touching any OS dependent code in my diff so the mistake is likely yours (or I just made a stupid mistake when create the diff…)

1 Like

I don’t know, but in master with your diff I receive this

seems like your compiler doesn’t like the C99 designated initializers. Is Blender build without this C feature normally? My compiler compiles the designated initializers just fine. Check the compiler versions here: https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Building_Blender

1 Like

I do the instructions to compile in windows, where all is automatic.

what compiler version are you using?

1 Like

cmake 3.15.2
Visual Studio Community 2019

I switched the obsolete initializers to standard syntax. (learn something new every day…).
Please try again.

1 Like

Now it works

But I don’t know how to use the solidifier, only use the solidify modifier? I don’t see difference.

The Modifier is pretty much done (without the intersection fix for now). The patch is uploaded here: https://developer.blender.org/D5766

Now I am unsure if I should really include the even and simple method for the new manifold solidify, because they are always worse than the constraints method. Maybe we can get a discussion here.

5 Likes

Sounds interesting will try it

If there’s a build we can try, I’d be able to provide feedback. Normally I’d say more choice is always better (if presented in a good way), but if you say it’s worse…

One thing that I’d love to see in Solidify is the ability to use vertex groups, and instead of having a ratio, actually have only the group (or the reverse, depending on the setting) affected, leaving the rest of the geometry untouched.

2 Likes

First I want to say: I’m just a Fan with some spare time, not a professional Blender Developer.
There is a problem with the Idea of the use of Vertex Groups to disable the Modifier for parts of the mesh. It is quite an effort and still it just adds something that’s already kind of there. You can already use the Mask Modifier on two Objects which have the same Object Data and Transformation and reverse it on one of them. Then you can add Solidify on one of them. Visually that is exactly what it would be like with the option in the solidify modifier. Another Problem is that unassigned vertices would not get a default 0 weight with your proposal, but instead not get solidified at all. That is a problem if you change the factor value. If you want a smart logic to detect all of that and handle it correctly, just implement it and add it to my Diff (I think that should be possible…) but I doubt that anyone would really have a use for that feature. At least I would not know how that would be put to good use were it wasn’t possible before. I develop this feature just so this correct kind of solidify is possible in blender (It wasn’t before).
At last I just want to encourage you (the reader of this message now instead) if you really want that feature, implement it yourself (I would be ready to help though), because that is what blender is about.
Blender: made by you :heart:

2 Likes

Hi @weasel,

I don’t know if you’re the developer of the Solidify modifier that’s currently inside Blender, but I would really love to see an option to increase the number of segments of the thickness. That would be very useful for adding a subdivision modifier after Solidify, and for deformation modifiers.

Thanks.

2 Likes

If you would like to see thickness segments in the Solidify modifier as well, I’ve suggested it at Right-Click Select. Your upvote might help it getting noticed by the Blender devs, thanks:

5 Likes

I voted it up too, nice feature request! :slight_smile:

In the meantime I just wanted to say thats its kinda possible with the new Boolean solver by howard.
Of course its not an efficient replacement for a proper solidify feature but if you really need to do it NOW you can copy this setup:

SolidifyRimSegments.txt (rename to .blend)

Duplicate and edit the first solidify modifier of the cutter object to increase segments.
For convenience the cutter object is linked and parented to the original object, so it follows in edit mode aswell as in object mode. thats optional obviously.

1 Like