New Sky Texture

Good point. But it would be cool to be able to do the alien stuff, especially when 2.90 lands and then still more of the everything nodes project.

And I am not sure that it would hurt to give the user more options. Better to let the user decide what can be done than restrict the functionality because one does not see the value of possible “unorthodox” uses.

1 Like

Exposing a vector control is a huge step forward IMO, well done @nacioss!

I don’t think alien stuff is the only application of being able to drive these nodes. The other parameters could be controlled by a node graph to give a user more automatic control of the look, no reason not to have inputs, since the value can still be changed on the node itself.

9 Likes

Added sun disc lighting and Ozone Absorption control

27 Likes

Great job! Thanks for keep developing this.

7 Likes

damn i hope it can be in 2.9

14 Likes

me too, at now is from cycles implementation that i wait this sky setting, a lot of years

Since taking into account 81 wavelengths versus 11 wavelengths of the color spectrum doesn’t give any noticeable difference, then now the model is making use of 11 wavelengths instead of 81 which gave a good speedup.

81 wavelengths

11 wavelengths
60 (11 wavelengths)

9 Likes

This model doesn’t seem to properly support rendering spaces other than linear-sRGB/rec709? XYZ to rendering space conversion needs to be pulled from OpenColorIO(same way the current sky texture does) rather than hard-coded, otherwise the output colors will be wrong with things such as ACES.

4 Likes

The sphere can be a real PITA to fine tune - this looks much better! The only real great use was that it was drivable based on a sun lamp’s rotation, but with your vector socket it should be even easier. Thanks!

1 Like

This might be a really silly question considering how early both of these projects are but I’d like to know: How easy or hard would it be to write this same model to work spectrally? It looks like the Spectral Cycles branch might be getting close to support such ideas and it would be really cool if these two efforts were cross-compatible.
A better sky model is something I’ve been waiting for for a long while now. The current one leaves a lot to be desired. What you have going here looks excellent so far!

2 Likes

Thank you sir, yes I’m in touch with the spectral guy :slight_smile: and yes, this model will be ready for the change, don’t worry

12 Likes

I also hope you’ll reconsider making the sun disk size adjustable. @LudvikKoutny is very much correct that it’s important for just art directing shadow size or making an efficient way to mimc partially blocked sun. Also, modifying a sun/sky model IS the most effective way to produce non-earth skies in most cases. You usually get much better results just putting non-physical values into an earth-sky model, and possibly changing colors with things like the existing HSV node. Expecting artists to roll their own models for alien sky or just hand-make something with gradients is usually a poor solution.

11 Likes

Precomputation finished!!
Now the model renders superfast!! Even faster than the actual Hosek-Wilkie method!!
The only time required is the precomputation part which happens before the rendering starts, this process takes up to 1 second, but then the sky renders super fast, instantly!

32 Likes

I prefer sliders over the sphere controller by far. Much finer control imo

4 Likes

That is really cool! Looking forward to seeing it in next Blender releases!

2 Likes

Is there a reason for the noisy look? Luxcore is slower doing pure pathtracing and doesn’t have as much noise.

Viewport is setup to 10 samples, i’d say noise is kinda expected

Bilinear interpolation implemented!! now the 512*128 pixels texture looks supersmooth!!

26 Likes

Improved sun lighting!

27 Likes