New Render Window Discussion

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here, so the first thing I would like to say is that I can’t keep up with all the improvements and new features you are adding to Blender. So first of, thank you for the fantastic work!

We started a discussion about the current rendering interface, and a first version of a new render window. The interest and involvement by the community has been great, see the feedback here: https://youtu.be/QSmAqR2XJvc

Thanks to the feedback, I submitted an updated proposition, with 5 more features requested by the community, on right-click select here: https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/wGgbbc/

The proposition is mostly UI rework, with a couple of small new features.

• First rework the UI, remove the not working or not relevant to rendering features, and organize it to have an interface streamlined for rendering.

• Then add a couple of simple but very useful features. One of of the suggestions, the render region control box, is already available in the 3d viewport, for example.

I hope it will get your attention, as there has been a strong interest and involvement from the community for an update to the rendering interface.

I would be happy to keep the discussion going here, with input from the development side!

24 Likes

This will nicely mix with discussions about custom renderers imho.

I’m fiddling with the Blender Redshift beta now, and unlike other 3d application implementations, there’s no RS Render View available. Which has most of the things that are requested above.

As the implementation is beta atm, I cannot tell if this a limitation of Blender, or a not yet implemented feature.

2 Likes

Hope that see this features in some of next Blender updates

1 Like

Linked discussion here:
New slots system in render view - Blender Development - Blender Developer Talk

1 Like

Sorry for necro(ish) bump.
Adding to the slot comparison slider the nice thing to have would be to rotate slider so it’s not working only horizontally.

1 Like

good idea silex, that would allow for a diagonal comparison as well.

Regarding community interest for the proposition, it has now entered the current top 10 open propositions on right-click select. When filtering for “top” and development status “open”.

Lots of great propositions on that list. I personally particularly like the array modifier randomness suggestion. Thank you for your consideration developers and thank you everyone who up-voted!

2 Likes

There’s too many good ideas here to just end up buried. I hope someone with development know how takes some inspiration from this proposal.

1 Like

I’m also surprised that this haven’t gotten much attention by developers. Now isn’t the best time to bring this up because of holidays, but the proposition has many improvements that should be added in Blender and hopefully will be noticed.

1 Like

Picture viewer?

I can only agree with the suggestions shown in the latest video. I hope that the render window gets enhanced someday.

There’s another feature (regarding rendering) that I would like to see in Blender: literally, what the “Animated Render Border” add-on provides: https://blenderartists.org/t/animated-render-border/646511

This add-on speeds up previewing renders by tracking and only rendering objects that move. It saves rendering time by not rendering parts of the image that don’t change.

The main purpose of this add-on is to allow the border render feature of blender to be able to update its location and size every frame to always encompass the selected object or group (mesh objects only for the minute). This can be useful when wanting to render an animated object at final quality, but not render any of the surrounding areas, so as to preview it or to skip rendering transparent areas of the image (which can happen if an object is on it’s own renderlayer).

I tend to think that features from this add-on should be part of Blender by default.

1 Like