Making Multiedit more functional?

Inkscape has also multi-edit feature, and one thing that i like is:

It is basically an ability to join two separate objects using an analog of F (Make edge/face). But in Blender it doesn’t works, F do nothing with separate objects.

Modifiers doesn’t make sense, it can be like regular join in object mode, then Make edge/face. Here how it done in inkscape:

Peek%202018-11-27%2001-46

In Inkscape you can also join 2 curves with Ctrl+K (analog Ctrl+J in Blender), but for me joining curves in this way better, because you joining 2 objects in objects and points level simultaneously.

2 Likes

This is possible in blender, just Cntrl + J and the objects are meged in to one single.

Yes I know that it is possible - I described it in my post!

But I’m about making one one thing in different ways. For example in Inkscape you can also join 2 curves with Ctrl+K, but for me joining curves in this way better, because you joining 2 objects in objects and points level simultaneously.

For simple cases this could make sense, but this is dangerous for a few reasons.

In a 2d drawing app like you demonstrate, there are no constraints, modifiers, and no animation.

In Blender, if you automatically merge two objects by accident, you can actually lose a whole lot of data - the constraints, the animation, the modifiers, and more.

If you have a complex scene, doing this by accident can screw things up badly.

However, it would be nice to support joining meshes while in Edit Mode.

2 Likes

Yes, but it has colors, line width and styles, that lost during joining (in 2d app, Inksacape).

You can do this (lose the constraints, the animation, the modifiers) also using Ctrl+J. But you will never join mesh with applied subsurf modifier to not applied, just because you can see amount of real vertexes in it in edit mode.

The difference is that Ctrl-J is deliberate, whereas you can easily join the wrong points in Edit Mode and destroy your scene by mistake.

Joining meshes from within Edit Mode should totally be added though.

2 Likes

Hm, if it so, maybe it’s a good point to add a confirm dialog (like then delete objects), that conveys information, that you are going to join separate objects, and some data can be lose

Yet another thought about multiedit:

Color graduation between one object and other, like in curve edit:

When part of object selects, all parts of this object become visually different from parts of outer object. Like in curve edit mode.

This makes objects visually separated in multiedit mode.