Make bpy fails for 2.93.4 (but not 2.93.3 or 3.0)

Hi all,

When building Blender using make bpy in a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 Docker instance, I get the following results after installing the system packages. cloning the source, and downloading the precompiled binaries.

I can build blender as a python module for both 2.93.3 and 3.0 alpha, but I can’t build bpy for both 2.93.4 and for the latest commit in the blender-v2.93-release branch. Those fail with a linking error (below).

What works:
building 2.93.3

git checkout v2.93.3
make update
make bpy

building 3.0

git checkout master
make update
make bpy

What doesn’t work:
building 2.93.4

git checkout v2.93.4
make update
make bpy

building the blender-v2.93-release branch

git checkout blender-v2.93-release
make update
make bpy

The linking error that this fails with is:

[ 83%] Building CXX object source/blender/freestyle/CMakeFiles/bf_freestyle.dir/intern/python/UnaryFunction0D/BPy_UnaryFunction0DFloat.cpp.o
/home/tmp/blender/source/blender/sequencer/intern/strip_add.c:463:11: error: conflicting types for 'SEQ_add_sound_strip'
  463 | Sequence *SEQ_add_sound_strip(Main *UNUSED(bmain),
      |           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /home/tmp/blender/source/blender/sequencer/intern/strip_add.c:58:
/home/tmp/blender/source/blender/sequencer/SEQ_add.h:79:18: note: previous declaration of 'SEQ_add_sound_strip' was here
   79 | struct Sequence *SEQ_add_sound_strip(struct Main *bmain,
      |                  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
make[3]: *** [source/blender/sequencer/CMakeFiles/bf_sequencer.dir/build.make:219: source/blender/sequencer/CMakeFiles/bf_sequencer.dir/intern/strip_add.c.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:5977: source/blender/sequencer/CMakeFiles/bf_sequencer.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

I should also note that I am able to run the regular make command to build Blender for 2.93.4, so this linking error seems specific to make bpy.

Hoping someone here has some ideas on what to try next.

rB394a0b0da5b8 fixed it. It needs to be backported to 2.93.

https://developer.blender.org/T88449

2 Likes

Thanks. Following and looking for ways to contribute.

@gold - Excuse me, do you have a complete script for building from a tag? Every time I try calling make update it throws with various errors.

I’ve previously manually updated the submodules, but would like to be much closer to the official build process, if possible.

Try 2.93.5 Blender Builds - blender.org