Indices Selection NODE [to Approve]

I completely agree, and coming from extensive experience with another node-based geometry software, I think it is essential to have an easier way to manually select specific indices.

I am a bit puzzled by extends of the conversation - is this kind of manual selection going to completely alter how geometry nodes works? Hardly, just adding additional functionality, that is already available, but it makes it much easier to do.

3 Likes

So will this be included in Blender 3.4 and if not how do we go about including it?

1 Like

@stillpointx Probably not in 3.4, whether or not is going to be in blender is a question we all want to know. The problem is not me, i updated the code several times and offer long time support for it. It could be already in blender 3.4 master, but they say it’s no priority, so no one knows.

You can use a the blender version with this node, i’ll update it for a long time.

3 Likes

Hans proposed this right when we started with the hair project. My main concern would be that I would like us to have a design or implementation or how to add generic attributes before committing to this approach. Because often times this was intended as a workaround given the lack of tools to:

• No way to edit generic attributes in one of the paint modes.
  • Pass selection to one-off modifiers (geometry nodes trees that were used for an effect and applied immediately after being added).
1 Like

@dfelinto
There was a task to do the Add generic Attributes i was about to do it but the design wasn’t there.
Another thing i think would be good is Indices text on each face overlay in viewport on object mode. That would make it easy to select what users want. I’m Studying to do just that and i think i can help with the attributes thing, but it needs a design changes.

it might be useful

to include measurement overlays of edit mode along with indices. Don’t know how difficult that will be.

1 Like

@lasgcx

Here we go, this patch will be helpful for a runtime indice-selection operation :slight_smile:
https://developer.blender.org/D15954

2 Likes

Definitely, it will help a lot. Also the indice number text draw I’m working on.