Help test improved FBX import: Reuse materials

Is this any faster, or mainly just other options?

I tried it, and it seems, it is slower.

1 Like

Hi,

How do we use this importer which you shared google drive. I changed the main folder in the directory. Do you have screenshots?

how do we use this? I swap this but I didn’t understand what we do

Okay, ,i fixed it. But everytime we need to adjust autosmooth and delete previous mesh.

You swap the original folder with the provided one. Then you should have a new option in the import dialog to use existing materials (it checks material names). That’s all this does.
If you want to replace your previous import, you need to delete or hide it first so that it doesn’t mix with the new one. It doesn’t change anything with auto smooth - you have the option in the import dialog to import custom normals which I usually turn off(with custom normals auto smooth doesn’t work).i can make a script which deletes custom normals and adds auto smooth to objects if you want

But the workflow is a bit problematic. You can’t change material names. If you do then it losses material sync. when you re-import a model, it creates new directory (layer) and it doesn’t re-import the mesh. You have to be cautious to not change material names but it is hard while importing material from 3d part programs.

it will be great to implent auto-smooth automaticly

I’m aware of this limitation, but I couldn’t come up with a better system. I know that this system is restrictive and you need to work with it in mind. If you know how to do it in a better way, please let me know. I’m afraid it would mean writing a custom exporter for the source program (revit, archicad etc.) with some unique identifiers.

1 Like

Here’s a small script that adds auto-smooth to all selected objects and sets their shading to smooth. If you want to remove custom normals, you just delete the # symbol on the 7th line.

import bpy
#works on selected objects only
for obj in bpy.context.selected_objects:
    if obj.type == 'MESH':
        bpy.context.view_layer.objects.active = obj
        bpy.ops.object.shade_smooth()
        #bpy.ops.mesh.customdata_custom_splitnormals_clear()
        bpy.context.object.data.use_auto_smooth = True

I have this separately, because I don’t want to mess with the importer unless I really need to.

1 Like

I totally agree. We need custom exporter for revit, archicad or any obj and fbx formats. It would be great idea if there is re-import mesh and keep materials.

I opened a thread. You can support me also:
https://developer.blender.org/T92295