GSoC 2024: Sprucing up the Video Sequencer (Feedback)

How about “connected”, or ”entangled”?

When considering different names, the term would show up in menus as an imperative verb (e.g. “link/unlink”) and not a participle (“linked”), so whatever sounds best as a verb in the present tense would be great.

1. Join/Separate
  2. Attach/Detach
  3. Merge/Unmerge
  4. Connect/Disconnect
  5. Entangle/Disentangle
  6. Group/Ungroup
  7. Bind/Unbind

I like 1 since “linking strips” in the industry NLE sense is a little like joining together objects in Blender – when you move one part of the object the other parts move with.
I also like 2, 4, and 7, let me know what you all think

3 Likes

Entangled is exactly spot-on in terms of meaning, but might be a little obscure

After some conversations with Dalai, Pablo and Sergey, there is consensus that “Connect/Disconnect” is the preferred naming. It’s important to keep the meaning of “linking” consistent in Blender, more than aligning with the standard terminology used by other video editing software in this case.

15 Likes

When going over the Retiming implementation, did you find a good reason to have 3 places to switch it on/off: in the Time panel, in the Overlay drop down and on the Retime menu?

Seems to be overkill, and the source of confusion. Imo, it should not be exposed in the Time panel(which is for time related values), and not exposed in the Overlay drop down (which is for info related overlays, and not for interactive widgets).

3 Likes

I’ll have to speak w/ @iss about changing this (since afaict he added these options), but the option in the Time panel and Retime menu do the same thing – to disable/mute retiming editing. The one in the Overlay dropdown is different, it hides the keys altogether.

I agree that the Time one should be removed, but I think the Overlay option is good to stay as long as the current behavior of the Time/Retime option remains the same, since otherwise there’s no way to hide retiming keys.

2 Likes