GSoC 2019: Outliner Branch Testing

@HooglyBoogly @EL_BIBIKA @Regnas Thank you for the feedback, I think I know what is causing some confusion:

• I did not add versioning code to automatically update the themes, that is why you are seeing the black background rather than light blue. I’m going to fix this on my end, but you can reload factory settings or reload the theme (light or dark).
  • I handn’t even realized that double click and ctrl+click were both mapped to rename. I’ll fix this.
  • Finally, I’m only concerning myself with outliner selection modes for the time being. Once I finish (just walk selection left) I will work on syncing with the 3D view. As part of this I will merge the orange active/selected text coloring and the blue highlighting.
3 Likes

Is box selection planned to be implemented?
Thx…

1 Like

@TheRedWaxPolice Download the lastest build, its in there :slight_smile: Click and drag from the left gutter to box select.

2 Likes

Ah thanks, it’s a little hidden and restrict but it’s an improvement for sure.

So I suppose it’s not possible to make it work like in most outliners? (drag anywhere to box select), like:

2019-05-31_18-52-23

10 Likes

I agree. It would be nice if dragging could happen anywhere except the object icon or name. I’d still want to be able to adjust layer ordering and hierarchy by clicking in those spots.

6 Likes

@DanPool @TheRedWaxPolice Yeah, I’m noticing its a bit restricted too. I’m working on it, thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

Sure. Not to side track you, though. I think selection syncing is the most important step. For right now shift select and box select are working. But if you have time to refine it later, it would be nice to add the drag anywhere box select.

Thanks for your work. It’s really coming along quickly.

@DanPool In the build that will be created in the next hour or so the box selection is much less restrictive. You should be able to start from anywhere besides element icons and names.

5 Likes

I would love to test the “drag anywhere to box select” but the latest build is not working.

@Regnas Not sure is it implemented yet or not. If implemented then it will works by dragging anywhere but not on the elements name, icon or arrows, I think.

Yeah, of course. By “drag anywhere” I mean on empty space, not in the items. Just like in every other outliner. :slight_smile:

By the way, there’s only one thing I don’t like in blender’s outliner, ctrl+drag should be to duplicate, instead of anything else. That’s more standard…

1 Like

@AbidMaqbool @Regnas I’m aware that the Windows build for today didn’t work. I develop on Linux and I have no issues so I’m not sure why. I’m going to look into the issue tomorrow.

2 Likes

Now, that box select is working, It will be great to have a way to box deselect.

Most of modifier keys are already used. But would it be possible to initiate box creation by left click and then use a modifier key to obtain at deselection at release of pressure on left click ?

Will this be implemented into the official build? Would be great to see industrial selection standards in Blender, finally.

Most of time, when GSOC goes well. That is what happens.
That is a non negligible part of Blender development.

1 Like

@Regnas The windows build is back up :slight_smile: Sorry about that

2 Likes

Nice work so far. This feels very intuitive.

In T57918, under “Dragging in empty areas to box select:” it mentions " Outliner (will be handled in the Outliner GSOC)." But under “Dragging on a selected item should move all selected items:” it mentions the outliner but not if it will part of GSOC. Is this not part of the planned work, or maybe a lower priority?

1 Like

After a quick test, yes, the “click and drag on an empty space to box select” is working great. Good job.

Here’s a quick feedback tho…

Extending selections.
The same way we “click and drag on an empty space to box select”, it would be nice if we could do the same to extend selections by holding shift. Currently if you hold shift and click and drag on an empty space to box select, it still tries to parent objects.

Example of how it could work:

2019-06-03_19-15-39

Subtract could also work the same way by holding ctrl.

Also, an option in the right click context menu to invert the selection would be handy. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@DanPool Yes, I’m planning on handling the dragging and drop with multiple items in the outliner. I’ve never seen that task before though, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

@TheRedWaxPolice I will add those modifier keys soon :slight_smile: Nice idea for a context menu.

4 Likes

Another thing, no idea if it would be too hard to implement in blender, but in most outliners, when you have many objects and several objects are out of the view, if you start dragging an object and you reach the edge of the outliner, an auto scrolling starts happening so you can reach any objects. Like:

2019-06-03_20-00-48

Would be nice to have that functionality. :slight_smile:

19 Likes