Geometry Nodes

Hi, guys. So, I’m trying to instance a cylinder on another cylinder, but for some reason the instances are incredible squashed. Why?

Because your emitter cylinder is scaled.

Also, I’m trying to use a remesh modifier to “merge” all the instances on the original cylinder but it doesn’t work. It only affects the original cylinder. What would be the ideal workflow?

Few posts back we’re discussing it, distributed points or instanced objects won’t be anyhow influenced by modifiers placed after geometry node modifier.

Yes, indeed is scaled, but it’s scaled proportionally and the scale is applied. So do I need to always scale on edit mode? :thinking:

To keep emitter object scaling “procedural” use Transform node.

3 Likes

Oh, I see. Thank you very much.

I hope the team can solve the modifier “issue”. It would be nice to mess with the instances after de GN modifier.

I wanna see some cool artwork done with the tools already available. Anyone?

1 Like

This is far from artwork, it’ll be more like a “techwork”.

I’m preparing another tech video on scattering and procedural terrain adjustments…

21 Likes

Amazing work, Miro!
Seeing your work is always really inspirational!

1 Like

I will start of my first Geometry Nodes render next week. Hope to share with you soon.

It has a Myst vibe to it. Cool stuff ! I’ve been fantasizing about building large-scale environments like this for a while… :slight_smile:

Hello, I tried the geonodes for few weeks now. I used it for scattering trees and grass. Imho, It is very useful for self understanding of what we are doing. Each node of the tree is useful, and no fields ( as the particle system ) are empty or not used. You have to set up only what you need. One thing I would love to see is a way to make a vertex group sensitive to the camera view. I tried some math functions, but didn’t works as expected.

For scattering trees, I used planes ( luckily for my pc ) and the orientation to the camera is pretty simple. Just fix the rotation with a fill attribute node. For the grass, random Z rotation applied, no problem. So much more fun than with particles, I promise !

Thanks to the developers working on it, It is just going better each days (even the weekend :wink: ) !!

I trying to show what’s possible with this new tool, but I’m absolutely not using all the possibilities around it.

btw : Took about 5 hours of free time on this sketchy render

10 Likes

It looks like a Point Distribute node is becoming inevitable to use attributes.
We can not rotate according to Normals of original mesh without using this node.

Unfortunately, this node only provides random distribution methods.
We can not use a predictable editable distribution corresponding to vertices or faces centers of mesh + mesh attributes, for the moment.

It would be welcomed to have other methods available like vertices, edge middle points and face centers.
That would allow user to have a fine control on some instances placement via mesh editing.

3 Likes

With matrix nodes this would be easy ! but right now ? I wouldn’t know how to do it.

So, I’m trying to recreate a scene of mine using Geometry Nodes, this is how it’s going.

I have one question. Is it possible to select a geometry and use a specific material for that geometry? If I need my pillars on the image above to have different colors than the rest, is it possible?

2 Likes

It looks like Hans is working on having a normal attribute added to each point by default. This is currently in a branch.

https://developer.blender.org/rB34eaf62536ff5de318cc4e10f30c457c196f4655

I agree about other instancing methods, which would have ideally been all done with one node. I had suggested a while back to change the point instance node to be called object instance with a dropdown menu for point/face/edge types. Otherwise there will now have to be a separate node for each instancing type…face instance, edge instance, etc.

Point instance still sounds to me like a node that would instance(or add) a point, so I don’t think it was named very well. At some stage there will have to be some kind of add point node, so that points can be added via nodes alone, so naming can get problematic quickly.

Okay. I tested.
As you may know, instanced mirror, array, instanced radial array are higly desired. And vanilla Blender do not have it out of box.
I made advanced instansed mirror. But it still requires another object with single vertex.

Sadly there is no way to create certain quantity of points and fill there positions with function. No way to get length of attribute. I think, such low-level access and operations are must have and allow to create arrays and clouds of objects. Not just surface scattering (which is very nice too since Poisson disk scatering implemented)

You can test mirror:

Also. Speaking about «Sprite fright». With randomized radial arrays you can scatter mushrooms, making fairy rings for example.

And here is more powerful feature: Variable radii 4 Poisson disks
Epic method for distribution!

1 Like

Quick test with instances displacement based on a texture.

4 Likes

I just saw the commit in master.
It looks like Hans is asking himself how to present vertex normals, face normals and custom normals.
But as you said, my question was more relative to distinction between vertex and points.

Initial goal was to use point cloud object that only have points.
So, under that context, a point instance node would not be weird.
But now, that we are using directly mesh and trying to exploit mesh attributes directly, too. That implies changes to original plan.

What I found weird is to have one big geometry socket.
There is a need for a big container socket to pass from one step to another.
But we are facing a problem about characterizing and identifying content.
I am exposing a problem where verts are considered as points without attributes and points from Point Distribute nodes have attributes. So, we have two different kinds of geometry content.
We can not do the same thing with those different contents.

So, we need nodes to deliver a generic way to reach attributes or to identify and convert content of geometry socket or maybe both. I am not sure.
Geometry category of nodes only has 2 nodes (join/transform), for the moment. I don’t know what Jacques plans were about that category.
But if there is a conversion need or a way to output attributes or a viewer node that probably should be solved by nodes from that category.

1 Like

I don’t think you can specify the material itself, yet. But you can give the different parts of your structure a color attribute that you can reference in the shader editor with the Attribute node and use as a mask in your material.
If I understand your node tree correctly you should be able to easily create the color/mask attribute before joining the different parts together:

3 Likes

Oh, thanks for your help. But it did’t work at first try. I’ve used attribute fill color on geometries with an specified attribute, also I’ve created a vcolor as well. I will try again later.