Geometry Nodes in Blender 3.0 - Status Update

Do we have a geometry nodes donut yet?

I converted it from attributes to fields, the experience was quite good.
In terms of missing nodes, I’m missing the Extrude, so the crust has thickness, the Subdivision Surface and the Attribute Transfer. I could do without the last one, but I used it in the old system.

4 Likes

I actually have been making a donut scene for demo file submission since months ago ever since the prototype branch. I wanted to announce it once I get rid of all legacy nodes but since you went ahead I might as well announce mine

Still waiting for subdivision surface and mesh to curve. And then maybe I will do some clean up and annotation and post it. Now it’s not ready so I am not posting the file yet.

18 Likes

There can’t be enough donuts. Yours is very nice composition in general. I’d definitely want to play with the scene and see what kind of proceduralism is happening.

3 Likes

Yes it might be more useful to have just a curve. I wonder why it is called a “torus” knot if the equations don’t even generatre a torus??
It might feel a bit empty to just have one object and node setup in the demo. You can always provide both curves and surfaces :star_struck:.

@dfelinto regarding the “Geometry Nodes” status - what is the state of the system displaying attributes in the eevee render? Since version 2.93, it is impossible to create complex materials using node geometry in eevee.

See Rendering meeting notes from September, 29:

“Brecht proposes Kévin works on Eevee generic attribute rendering for geometry nodes, since this is closely related to his work on Alembic generic attribute support and familiarity with this area due to the OpenSubdiv work. This might make it into 3.0 still.”

6 Likes

About the removal of texture data socket

It might hurt retro-compatibility, converting old set up will be more tricky, or might be impossible to obtain exact result (there was a lot of options).

Last time I checked there were projects to revive the texture editor, is the texture editor officially dead perhaps ?

edit*
it’s also a feature regression compared to before, now users are not able to input their own textures in a geometry node modifier, having the equivalent to the displace modifier is not possible currently. :slight_smile:

Below, was possible before, and not now since the texture data socket is no longer available:

Cheers

3 Likes

Unfolding Suzanne again.

The Blend file …
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10mwXk9-JybDnPXLF910FLfxhtzPYzv2a/view?usp=sharing

8 Likes

Nice example, I thought it was all done in Geometry Nodes.
I think it’s a good case to examine what’s missing to do it all in the nodes.

Edge Split is would be one node, Getting the UV Boundary edges would be another, or some more generic way of getting them.

1 Like

Strange bug, but if you add a new Math node and replace the links the warnings go away.

It seems that it is working for me.

Probably related to this ⚓ T92087 Red dashed line when evaluating "Position" node (or other fields node) when there is a Switch node down the evaluation line

Very strange. What are the specification of your computer? For me both on Linux and on Windows 10: Intel GPU (UHD Graphics 610), Nvidia GPU (GTX 950), Intel CPU (Gold G5400), AMD CPU (Ryzen 2600) - it does’t work.

System Information
Operating system: Linux-5.14.10-1-MANJARO-x86_64-with-glibc2.33 64 Bits
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 NVIDIA Corporation 4.5.0 NVIDIA 470.63.01

Blender Version
3.0.0 Alpha, branch: master, commit date: 2021-10-11 23:14, hash: rB4b31a21bcd19

https://pasteall.org/media/4/f/4f5f4fc62ba8afe8243ee3e929e7dbe2.blend

1 Like

What about procedural collection, if i need for example generate 200 objects seed from my geonodes I must convert every single one to make collection and after that I can use them to next geometry nodes, maybe make some solution?

Hi,

A “Current Frame” node can be interesting ?

In some cases it is easier / faster than animating the value.

An example where I used a driver on a Value node:

Domino Nodes

Original Domino :

6 Likes

A frame timing will vary if the FPS changes though. Perhaps it would be nice to have a Time node with Is Start Frame, Frame, Seconds and FPS outputs.

7 Likes

It seems to me that a modifier input “time” (float) could do the job. You could set keys for the “time” input for an animation.

1 Like

As far as I can see, the Edge Split node In the ToDo list (if its called todo-list?)

A user still has to map all seams to sharp edges to make it work. It would be nice, if the edge split takes a selection input instead of a checkbox for “sharp” edges.

Totally agree with this, we need to be able to give the user an option to pick the texture the user wants from the modifier, not to force them to go into the node tree.

This in fact goes against share-ability because it makes more difficult to artist-users to use the tools we design…

it’s a bad regression IMHO

EDIT: It seems that we won’t loos the texture socket for the modifier and we will be able to use cycles nodes, so this comment is probably wrong :slight_smile: (good news)

5 Likes