Eevee internal limitation for extremely high resolution renders?

With the 2.82 and the 2.82 patched with a 6k*6k image the difference is

2.82: 21s
2.82patched: 16s

1 Like

in the sense that you have already tried all these patches ??

well, not bad I would say, considering that they are work in progress …

I can do about 8k (300%) 38 seconds, but after i go up to 400% it tells me the calculation is complete, but all I see is a blank render. Why is this happening, and what can I do about it?

Blender needs enough VRAM to allocate the entire resolution of the render. If you open the System Console, you should see a message that it ran out of memory.

I have 8GB in ram and I can do (500%) cycles renders without saving, but I can’t do a 330% eevee render. I don’t fully understand what you are saying. I guess I’m new though so I still don’t know everything. Thanks for trying to help.

I came across this free add-on on gumroad that seems to address this “extreme resolutions” issue, by splitting the render into multiple small tiles rendered separately, maybe it could help.

PS: The auto tile merging at the end is not yet implemented (BETA), but it shouldn’t be a problem if the number of tiles is small, just use any image editing software for that.
PS2: I didn’t test it myself, but on the add-on description it says that it works on all render engines supported by blender including EEVEE.

2 Likes

Thanks for that link. I worked out the math and camera setup to do it but haven’t needed it yet(pandemic kind of put a damper on needing banners and other high dpi images for conferences etc).

ImageMagick would probably be a good choice for merging tiles since it has built in column/row merges.