Disappearing 3D viewport axis when using transform hotkeys (2.8)

Ah yeah, you’re right, this is quite problematic as it is now… That info should display elsewhere… Hiding UI elements to display it is really weird.

Do you think it’ll be changed in the beta, (or at least in the release version) ?

It’s always been this way, also in 2.7. The eventual solution to this will be to show the operator adjust panel already while transforming and show the values there, but this is unlikely to happen for the first 2.8 release.

1 Like

Hello @brecht , cant’ reproduce that. In 2.79, the 3d axis (called ‘mini axis’ in setup ) in the lower left corner was allwas visible, even during transformations. (I don’t mean the local axis of the object !) I wouldn’t have noticed, if this would’n be different behaviour. Maybe we are talking about different things ?!

1 Like

I’ve just trying out 2.8 beta, but the viewport mini axis still disappears when using the move, scale or rotate keyboard shortcuts. The problem is, if I want to constraint the operation, I cannot glance at the axis indicator to figure out the directions after I pressed the shortcut key.

Maybe the reason that the mini axes is part of the viewport header, and it disappears alongside the other buttons?

Yes I noticed it has‘nt changed. I‘m not sure wether @brecht understood me right. Well may be the guys are busy with other bugs which are more important. Maybe we have to wait some time and ask again when the release is out and it still ramains…

That’s kind of a problem for me too. I think it would be nicer to be able to see the axis all the time like in previous versions.

1 Like

In 2.7x Navigation gizmo aka 3d Viewport axis aka Viewport Manipulator stayed visible during transformations.

And You mentioned Tool Tweaking UI
https://developer.blender.org/T55039

2 Likes

Hello @brecht, as you can see there more people who complain about this behaviour of blender 2.8.
Are there any chances to improve this ? I know there are many tasks open and surely more important issues, but it would anyway be nice to get a response here that the problem has been recognized.

Yes, I can see how it’s different than 2.7, we would like to fix this still.

3 Likes

Thank you, good to know :slight_smile:

Any news on this?

At least keeping the world axis gizmo would be helpful. It is a visual reference for how your viewport is oriented in space that is always great to be able to see. Even more so when doing transformations!

Both sidebars, toolbars and tool options are still left on screen so removing the few tiny icons seems like such a minor visual cue. And losing the world axis is downright inconvenient.

thanks!

It’s here but there is no estimate for when it will get fixed, maybe if more people ask for it then we’ll see it happen.
https://developer.blender.org/T57712

This should take care of it… (hopefully)

Isn’t that about the manipulator gizmo?
And not the world axis gizmo in the corner?

I actually prefer blender’s pressing W, E, R to go into transform mode. Even coming from maya (: But that is another matter

They all disappear together when transforming… Fix that, fix everything… :wink:

I have the same problem. I don’t know how it happened, but my x/y/z navigation in the upper right permanently and I don’t know how to get it back.

Probably disabled in overlays?

Any news here? I would also love to see the mini axis while transforming.

Open a new window go to file-Defaults-y load factory, the viewport axis will reappear. copy the design you are doing in the window where the axis does not appear select all, copy and paste in the new window that is restored, give it the same name and close the one with the values ​​that could not be restored. the case is that the custom values ​​that are not had, it’s time to do them again. This way I was able to solve it, I don’t know if this helps.