Developer.blender.org; choice for GITEA. Reasons and timeline

Hi,

I’m actively working on the Friendly Forge Format (F3) and its Gitea integration. While it’s not yet anything that would help Blender in a concrete way, I’m very interested to learn more about the work in progress to improve this emerging forge interchange format.

Where could I read more about the ongoing progress?

3 Likes

After the recent events about Gitea, has the Blender Foundation decided to move to Forgejo ?

2 Likes

Wtf! What does this change for Blender?

considering that the blender foundation is one of giteas customers that required cooperation / custom stuff (atleast that’s the impression I got from the talks at bcon) – and that blenders model was specifically mentioned by gitea as an example for how they want to govern themselves in the future, I don’t think this will affect the phabricator → gitea migration.

that being said, the situation is very funny on multiple levels lol

1 Like

I would be surprised if the migration was affected by this. However, the sustainability might be.

According to what @Arnd told me on blender.chat, no change is planned for the moment.

1 Like

source? blender clearly says about this, but i didn’t find anything similar giving details about Gitea limited on gitea website! Either this is a mistake, or it alone says a lot about gitea limited’s future (as even if they are exploring options, they didn’t mention that anywhere)?

The Blender Foundation (2002) is an independent public benefit organization
- Blender Foundation — blender.org

Here? :thinking:

they just mention the traits which at least on surface seem similar to blender foundation’s. but the part i quoted from you is nowhere there. and again, they don’t even say about any prospect of type of foundation the gitea limited will be.

Yeah, maybe they’re taking time and it’s too soon, but… umh, i don’t hold my hopes for it

“blenders model was specifically mentioned by gitea as an example for how they want to govern themselves in the future”

5 Likes

How we can see the milestones on gitea? Are there or not?

And why not logged can’t see tickets, etc… this is bad for google search/robots and more easy find…

EDIT:
Ok, working but link above should be checked

Not sure if this is the best topic for it, but I couldn’t find an existing topic that was more relevant- I was wondering about a repository search? That is one huge thing I’m missing from gitea right now. On github you can search for something like MESH_OT_bevel and quickly find the source implementation for the mesh.bevel operator. I don’t see any way to do that with gitea, which makes the source view virtually useless in my opinion. If we have to pull down the source and grep it ourselves, what’s the point in having a web interface that shows all of the files when we can just open them up locally- convenience is the whole point.

This is tracked as a planed item to go and do. It’s currently waiting on some gitea changes upstream to allow for fine-grained control over which repositories are enabled for search (can’t enable for every fork since that requires too much space etc.)

5 Likes

that’s great to hear, thanks for the response!

1 Like