Depth of Field improvement

No, but it’s an easy change. The question would be: how many decimal places would be better? 1? 2? Anything smaller than 1cm is probably too much.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would have figured 2 was sufficient, but not really sure what the official Blender guidelines are in this regard.

I wasn’t aware of this, it seems like a simple oversight, committed a fix (so centimeters are visible).

8 Likes

I don’t think the eyedropper tool itself should do any rounding whatsoever (exact to float precision).

My suggestion is to round the display value to the same precision as most other Distance fields, whatever that may be.

The eyedropper isn’t doing any rounding. It’s reading the depth from the depthbuffer in the viewport (which I think uses 24bit precision).

1 Like

I wrote an operator which samples the 3d cursor’s location for the Focus Distance. Because the 3d cursor nicely places itself on any surface point.

Basically you place the 3d cursor, then press the operator button to set the Focus Distance.

Mind you, I’m still on RMB select, so this is very efficient for me (3d cursor is always available)

EDIT:
Would it be possible for the current eyedropper (Focus Distance) to sample the surface point, instead of the object’s origin? Without invoking the 3d cursor?

@Sago

The eyedropper already does this. You just need to be in camera view for the depth to be sampled correctly.

2 Likes

Oops! I guess I misunderstood.
This means I can replace my operator with this one…

Cheers!