Cycles Requests

Is the rendering single pass related to this request thread?
For example I can’t render AO pass separately, it also render color which waste my time.

AO distance tells this is related to AO, doesn’t it?
Also each tooltip is quite self-explanatory and refers to AO.
The reason why it is not decoupled I think is that it would imply a double AO calculation in case one wants to use regular AO for rendering, or have an AO in output passes.

Yet it would be nice to be able to set an override background for it independent from the world settings.
This way you could have an HDR or whatever you like in the background and still manage strength and tint of the fast GI approximation. Tinted light is often an issue with this cool feature

No, it doesn’t. If you are a new user, you have no clue there’s an additional Ambient Occlusion rollout in the world tab, which contains the “Factor” value which is mentioned nowhere in the Fast GI Approximation UI.

You are doing the common mistake of thinking about it from the perspective of long time Blender user who has understanding of how all the different layers of nonsense cascade on top of each other and tie together, but if a new user tries to use Fast GI approximation feature, they will fail because they have no idea there’s one more external parameter, which is absolutely key to utilizing Fast GI Approximation correctly.

you mean the AO factor don’t you? you’re right, it should fit there too.
And maybe this multiplier could be easily decoupled from main AO to work only for fast GI?

On the broader topic I’m not so keen on new users accomodations. There’s a whole manual available and stuff can be easily found there, with explanations too.
I’m now in the process of learning Unreal, and in this perspective, their UI is a pure nightmare IMHO. Everyone can do better I guess

In this day and age, manual should be last resort, not the first one. The possibilities of UI these days are so vast and refined the reason to leave software to seek some external documentation should be a rare exception.

If you are learning UE4, then send me a PM. I can help you with any questions you have :slight_smile:

As a side note for everyone, do you think we should move this discussion about the Cycles-X branch of Blender to another thread?

It seems most of the discussion isn’t directly related to the topic of this thread? Not entirely sure really.

Hi @brecht ,

is it planned to also improve pixel filtering in cycles x? Having used other renderes in and outside of blender, cycles seems to be the only one that does not filter every sample. It looks as if it only affects object edges and areas with some contrast.
Also it only has any effect with at least two samples whereas other renderers already filter with only 1 sample.
Not that that would be of much use but that already gives a much smoother/filtered look than the current pixelnoise.

Cycles is using filter importance sampling, which in the end achieves the same goal but in a much more GPU friendly way.

See
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.183.3579&rep=rep1&type=pdf
for details.

2 Likes

Ah! So I was looking for weighted pixel sampling vs filter importance sampling.
Would be nice to put it in the docs maybe :slight_smile:

Makes sense now. Danke Stefan! :

I’m also hesitating. The denoising topic is starting to dominate this general Cycles Requests thread, so it’d be appreciated if you could wrap it up, or I can turn it into a dedicated thread if you want to continue the denoising discussion.

@YAFU @MetinSeven @LudvikKoutny @lsscpp @mib2berlin @SteffenD (I’m just tagging a bunch of people just so they know), I’ve created a new topic for the denoising discussion.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll move the relevant posts to that thread.

2 Likes

Meeeeee I would like that scene to test it. I love neoclassical :DD

By the way, that method is so nice. I always though that fireflies can be removed by image processing because it would be easy to make an algorithm to find the sudden white pixels in 2020 :stuck_out_tongue:

I was wondering whether the Cycles architecture would for limiting the secondary effects of emissive surfaces to specific (or no) other elements in the scene. This isn’t entirely an out-of-nowhere request; there are renderers out there that permit emissive surfaces with exclusion lists, allowing for selective illumination. It allows for a number of effects that otherwise force the use of the compositor, with more awkward workflows in terms of keeping the scenes in-sync.

1 Like

Is there a link to a list of the currently supported token for the Cycles stand alone renderer?

I have extracted what I can from the posted examples.

I am trying to rotate the world in the Cycles standalone renderer. When I supply values to the vector parameter I see no change in the output…?

How do you rotate the world around the camera?

<background name="World">
	<environment_texture name="hdri" filename="./maps/HDRI-Sunny.hdr" vector="90.0 0.0 0.0" />
	<background name="bg" strength="1.0" color="1.0 1.0 1.0" />
	<connect from="hdri color" to="bg color" />
	<connect from="bg background" to="output surface" />
</background>

Light linking, groups and Octane like displacement:

Octane and render man have light linking feature, which allows one to exclude certain meshes to not interact with a specific light source. It’s an absolute bomb of a feature especially for product rendering where sometimes you need a light source to only affect a certain object or want to exclude only one object or maybe a collection of objects. Apart from that, most other render engines also have light group feature which allows you to look at multiple lighting scenarios in the compositing phase. Octane happens to have this really amazing way of adding displacement without adding crazy amounts of geometry, since Cycles X is being written from the ground up, I thought these few things would be a nice addition to the engine. These tools are basic and I believe should be included in Cycles X when it finally comes out in October.

4 Likes

How does that displacement work ? (if not adding geometry)

1 Like

I do not know, but if you check out octane’s displacement, it adds really fine details without the need to subdivide or add geometry.

5 Likes

This looks snappy as hell indeed. Wonder what’s their recipe. How can displacement work if not with mesh tesselation though ? (diagsplit et al) Do you think it’s some parallax trick, like this one? (Parallax Occlusion Mapping)

2 Likes