Cycles AMD HIP device feedback

Hello! I was wondering if you estimate that hardware ray tracing like optiX for nvidia can be added to new rdna2 AMD cards later on? Im on windows, and the new g14 laptop with a 6800s gpu coming in the next months is looking good to me for a portable workstation.

Also, unrelated, Vega support would make me happy. Cheers, and have a nice day!

1 Like

Hardware Ray Tracing is on the list of tasks that needs to be done for HIP in Blender: āš“ T91571 Cycles HIP device

As for when this feature will be added? I do not know.

Until AMD commits to a date for hardware ray-tracing support in CyclesX I think its safe to assume its not coming. Note there is no mention of ray tracing in the ā€œnext levelā€ blog.

Ray tracing appears in T91571 as it was copied over from, the failed T82557 issue which related to the no longer supported OpenCL Cycles.

Iā€™m more excited about the performance after Deduplicate CUDA and HIP host code than hardware ray tracing

From my understanding ā€œdeduplicating CUDA and HIP host codeā€ should not improve performance.

1 Like

cool. Im not well read up on the technical details, but do you reckon this will get it closer to nvidia optiX performance than enabling hardware raytracing on amd cards?

do you think amd will ever fix hardware raytracing for blender on their end? or dead end?

Hardware raytracing for AMD cards is on the todo list. I cannot give you more information about who and when. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Correct, this is a code change only, avoiding code duplication.

Relying on translation will certainly have code redundancy resulting in performance loss, redundancy is a near-synonym, that word this I do not know how to say in English

Nice ā€¦ What about Linux support for AMD GPUs. Thanks.

2 Likes

ping @bsavery
This is all silent at AMD while ROCm 5.0 / 5.1 is getting out of the oven :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hey guys. My time is limited being on parental leave. Sorry there hasnā€™t been more updates, but the above statement still stands.

Weā€™re also having another developer look at older card support but no guarantee there. As far as hardware ray tracing support we donā€™t have an optix like library ready yet for HIP and I canā€™t give any dates because of corporate reasons. And Iā€™m not sure participating in the speculation on what is a developer forum is the best use of anyoneā€™s time, to be honest.

Iā€™ll give updates when we have them. Please understand companies like AMD donā€™t want to commit to things before they are ready and Iā€™m telling you guys everything I can.

8 Likes

Hey Brian. Appreciate you taking the time during your leave to reply ( there has been no updates from the core dev team ).
With 3.1 Bcon3 starting on the 26th of Jan I really hope we can get AMD GPU support on Linux in by then or it stands to be left out for another blender release. Thanks.

1 Like

Itā€™s more a question of when the driver will be available and when to get it. Which you can understand the corporate overlords donā€™t like to pre-announce. Iā€™ll see if I can share more info but should be in the next few weeks.

3 Likes

I wish AMD the best of luck in delivering a driver that supports cyclesX and satisfies those that have purchased their products.

As for ray tracing I wouldnā€™t blame anyone for wanting ā€œan order of magnitude increase in intersection performanceā€. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Isnā€™t rays4.1 an off-the-shelf ray tracing library?

1 Like

Really, I have been waiting for HIP support for my Vega64 card, before moving up from 2.93.x to 3.x generation of blender. I am just unhappy looking at the gap between OpenCL removal and HIP replacement for it. The OpenCL option for rendering on GPU was still ā€˜bearableā€™.

I am keeping my hopes high for its inclusion in 3.2 alpha or 3.1 (stable) in next few weeks.

3 Likes

Hi,
Same for me with my radeon VIIā€¦ waiting hard !

3 Likes

Looks like HIP RDNA Linux support will be pushed back to 3.2 which appears to be scheduled for June 8, 2022.

Its bad news for Linux RDNA owners. Strangely these days a delay is about as good as it gets for AMD GPUs when compared to the lack of commitment that Vega / Polaris owners are faced with. In other news Nvidia GPUs remain supported :joy_cat:.

3 Likes

There is some hope that ROCm version 5.x will be fully packaged in Ubuntu Jammy 22.04 LTS releasing April 21st 2022. 4.5.2 packages are still entering Debian:new. So that would be somewhat coinciding dates.
P.S. 20220129 lol, no way

While waiting for Blender acceleration, if you wish the ROCm/HIP stack success, you are welcome helping documenting it! :upside_down_face:

@bsavery since we are on a developer forum: would you or an involved AMD developer be kind enough to walk us through the challenges and technical designs that are being dealt with? I am guessing that graphic/compute interop is a big topic since it is not supported officially yet, but any more details and/or vulgarization would be enjoyed.