Cycles AMD HIP device feedback

Apple Metal outperforms AMD HIP on their own devices ? Has this been verified ? Plus adding support to unsupported cards. What are the issues that prevent AMD from supporting the same cards ?

Tested the Linux build again, with the just released ROCm 5.1.1. No changes, GPU compute still causes Blender to crash or freeze, depending on scene complexity. Rendering just the default cube causes a hang, more complex scenes crash while allocating host memory (address boundary error). If the issues are caused by a bug in the runtime, it hasn’t been fixed in 5.1.1.

3 Likes

That’s a bummer I had high hopes for ROCm 5.1.1. What Device OS if you don’t mind.

Arch, using packages from rocm-arch.

Guess we’ll have to wait for bsavery or Sayak Biswas to return, unless somebody else wants to give it a spin. Which could be a fool’s errant, given that it might still be an issue with the runtime.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I haven’t seen any development since 5.1.

:: AUR packages will be installed:
comgr 4.5.2-1 → 5.1.1-1

etc

Arch packages have been updated to 5.1.1, I’ll need to rebuild entire rocm since I still have it at 4.5, and will give it a try

Hi! I have a laptop Asus rog strix G513qy Advantage Edition with AMD RX 6800m and blender just closed each time i hit render in all versions from blender 3.0 to blender 3.2. It was written that blender HIP supports RX 6000 series. Also if i open blender with default cube scene and hit render in viewport it works with cube but only in blender 3.2 . But with any other scene with materials and etc it crashes.
Windows 11

1 Like

Hello all in this thread. Regarding the linux issue with ROCM 5.1 drivers, I’ll update in the Blender rendering meeting but for the users here FYI.

The upcoming Closed Source 22.10 drivers have the fixes we’ve been testing blender with internally and should work. (should be released this next week)

For some reason the open source ROCM 5.1 drivers do not have this fix, and we’re working to get the people who maintain this to merge it asap.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update! When you say drivers, does that mean the bug is actually in amdkfd?

22.10 upcoming ?? 22.10.1 drivers have already been released on the 4th of April. Looking at the repo, and looks like something on the 9th ( but hidden )
ROCm is at 5.1.1
https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu/

Looks like HIP RT (that @bsavery hinted about) is out now – Introducing HIP RT - a ray tracing library in HIP - GPUOpen

I guess its a matter of time before hardware RT will come to the 6000 Series in blender

Correct! We’re evaluating it now. No definite timeline but our hope would be to have that in this year. (I’m being conservative we’ll get a better more clear date in the future).

1 Like

Very odd. 22.10 (5.1) and 22.10.1 (5.1.1) from repo.radeon were tested and failed as documented above in this thread. I guess 22.10.2 (5.1.2) is on its way, hopefully it works…

As far as I can tell the current public closed source Linux driver remains at 21.50.2 (5.0.2) released 3/7/2022, despite 22.10 (5.1) and 22.10.1 (5.1.1) existing on repo.radeon.

The AMD site is often behind with releases it takes a while to refresh I guess. Isn’t the repo Public, I mean its location is in the link to download the Drivers from the AMD site.

Looks like they are working on something internally that has been committed on the 9th.

Is the license of the RT library a free and open source license compatible with Blender ?
Are you working in a free and open source RT implementation ?

I hope that it will be available with open source drivers.

Optix is closed source yet used in blender.

It should work on any driver that has a hip runtime. You can download and try the example.

Wait, so the HIP-RT library specifically is closed source? How come? I mean it probably doesn’t matter too much since it’s a very hardware-specific thing but it’s still odd considering it’s part of an open software platform.

1 Like

I have bad news for you on the Optix front then.

Edit: To be clear, I don’t disagree personally that I think these things should be open sourced. However, companies do care about their hardware IP. The comments going all the way back in this thread are “When is AMD going to have it’s Optix-like solution” and now complaints that it is closed source similarly to optix??"

1 Like

Actually the news for me is that the RT library is not free and open source.
And from the license point of view, for what i understand, it cannot be distributed together with Blender GPL licensed code.

I’m curious about possible usage of self-build BVH, and using other primitives than triangles.

Does that mean HIP RT can possibly be extended to accelerate volume rendering with that method?