Context incorrect or active object missing

I have a Django project which uses the blender python API.
I have a separate file with my bpy code which is called from a Django view method.

In there I create a plane and use the displacement modifier with a height map. Afterwards I want to change some things on the mesh of the plane, for that I need to go into the EDIT mode. I do that with
bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode='EDIT')
bpy.ops.mesh.extrude_region_move()
but I get this error: RuntimeError: Operator bpy.ops.object.mode_set.poll() Context missing active object.

I also tried it with
bpy.ops.object.editmode_toggle()
which results in this error: RuntimeError: Operator bpy.ops.mesh.extrude_region_move.poll() failed, context is incorrect

All of this is done inside with bpy.context.temp_override(**mycontext):

I compiled the bpy module myself from the github sources with the tag v3.2.2
I use python version 3.10.2

One option is that you will have to do manual context switch in order to allow certain operators to run. As for example if you are in TextEditor and you try to run something on the 3DViewEditor you are not allowed because the context is incorrect. Typically you do context switch like this (look it up also if you want double check).

def execute(self, context):
		for area in context.screen.areas:
			if area.type == 'VIEW_3D':
				ctx = context.copy()
				ctx['area'] = area
				ctx['region'] = [x for x in area.regions if x.type == 'WINDOW'][0]
				bpy.ops.view3d.view_camera(ctx)

I don’t know in what context I’m in. I only have python code and nothing more. I don’t even use Blender as a program, it’s only bpy compiled as a python module.
So I don’t think this answer helps me.